Greg Williams (photographer)
Greg Williams is an English photographer and film director. He is known for his film and editorial work and as an early user of digital video technology.
Williams began his career as a war photographer before moving into film and editorial work which has been featured in Vogue Italia, GQ, Vanity Fair and Esquire. He is the official photographer to the British Academy of Film and Television Arts. He has shot on set and poster campaigns for Casino Royale, Quantum of Solace, The Bourne Ultimatum, Robin Hood and King Kong. His portrait subjects include Kate Beckinsale, Daniel Craig, Megan Fox, Robert Downey Jr. and Sean Penn. His advertising work includes poster campaigns for Omega Watches.
Williams debut feature film directing debut "Samarkand" starring Tom Hardy is in development with Solar Pictures. The script has been written by Williams and his brother Olly Williams. It concerns a Special Air Service soldier dealing with the complications of managing posttraumatic stress disorder in his civilian life., Williams previously directed Hardy in the 2011 short film "Sgt. Slaughter - My Big Brother".
Williams has published four books of film photos and one book of art photography. Bond On Set follows the 2002 James Bond film Die Another Day, Bond On Set: Filming of Casino Royale follows the production of 2006 James Bond film Casino Royale, Bond On Set: Filming of Quantum of Solace follows the production of the 2008 James Bond film Quantum of Solace and Bond On Set: Filming Skyfall follows the production of the 2012 James Bond film Skyfall.
Williams use of a Red One digital camera to shoot Megan Fox for the cover of Esquire was the first use of a video camera still for portrait photography on a major magazine. His short film Tell Tale was the first project ever shot using a Red Epic camera capable of recording five-thousand lines of resolution. He has produced a number of ‘Motos’ (Moving phOTOS), for digital distribution. Notable examples include a Dunhill campaign featuring Jude Law, and the cover of Los Angeles Times Magazine's first iPad compatible digital issue.
- Smyth, Diane; Lass, Julian; Farrel, Ian. "From stills to motion", The British Journal of Photography, 2 June 2010. Retrieved on 2010-10-9.
- "Gallery: Behind the Scenes at the Film Awards in 2009", British Academy of Film and Television Arts. Retrieved on 2010-10-9.
- "George Clooney the watchmaker?", Omega, 22 April 2008. Retrieved on 2010-10-9.
- "Solar Pictures Teams with Tom Hardy on “Samarkand", Variety (magazine), 2 February 2013. Retrieved on 2013-3-18.
- [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798247/, IMDB, 2011. Retrieved on 2013-3-18.
- "Amazon", Amazon.com. Retrieved on 2010-10-9.
- "Dorling Kindersley Authors", Dorling Kindersley. Retrieved on 2010-10-9.
- Williams, Greg. "Megan Fox Transforms: June Issue Sneak Peek", Esquire, 27 April 2009, Retrieved on 2010-10-9.
- Utichi, Joe "RT in the Edit Suite: Tell Tale", Rotten Tomatoes, 25 March 2010. Retrieved on 2010-10-9.
- Abbott, Megan. "Dangerous Curves", Los Angeles Times, April 2010. Retrieved on 2010-10-9.