Gregor Schoeler is a contemporary non-Muslim Islamic scholar  He has served the chair of Islamic studies at the University of Basel since 2009. Prior to that, he served in a professorship role in the same field at Paris-Sorbonne University starting from 1982 and has lectured at the School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences since 2000.
His most well known work is the collected series of lectures known as Écrire et transmettre dans les débuts de l'islam, which is available in French, English and Arabic. In March 2010, Schoeler delivered a series of lectures on Islamic oral and written tradition at the Cornell University College of Arts and Sciences.
- The Biography of Muhammad: Nature and Authenticity, trns. Uwe Vagelpohl, ed. and intr. James E. Montgomery. London: Routledge, 2011. 200 pgs. ISBN 9780415567176
- 'The Oral and the Written in Early Islam, trns. Uwe Vagelpohl, ed. and intr. James E. Montgomery. London: Routledge, 2006. 248 pgs.
- Gregor Schoeler. Ecrire et transmettre dans les débuts de l'Islam. ISBN 2-13-052815-5
- Gregor Schoeler, Oral Tradition online edition, ed. John Miles Foley. Accessed 28 May 2013.
- Dr. Gregor Schoeler and the Messenger Lecture Series. Department of Near Eastern Studies, Cornell University. Accessed 28 May 2013.
- Abdullah al-Ahsan of International Islamic University Malaysia, The Biography of Muhammad: Nature and Authenticity at Insight Turkey online edition. Copyright © 2012 Insight Turkey.
- Mustafa Shah, Review of 'The Oral and the Written in Early Islam' by Gregor Schoeler; translated by Uwe Vagelpohl. Journal of Qur'anic Studies, 10 (1), pgs. 98-128. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2009.
|This article about a German writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|