Gregory A. Presnell
Gregory A. Presnell
|Senior Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida|
|Assumed office |
April 1, 2012
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida|
July 31, 2000 – April 1, 2012
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||Seat established by 113 Stat. 1501|
|Succeeded by||Sheri Polster Chappell|
|Born||November 10, 1942|
|Education||College of William and Mary (B.A.)|
Fredric G. Levin College of Law (J.D.)
Gregory A. Presnell (born November 10, 1942) is a Senior United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
Presnell received his Bachelor of Arts degree (economics) from the College of William & Mary in 1964. He received his Juris Doctor from the Fredric G. Levin College of Law at the University of Florida in 1966. He was in private practice in Orlando, Florida from 1966 until 2000, serving also for part of that time in the United States Army Reserve from 1967 to 1973.
District Court service
On June 8, 2000, he was nominated by President Bill Clinton to a new seat on the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida established by 113 Stat. 1501. He was confirmed by the Senate on July 21, 2000 and received his commission on July 31, 2000. On April 1, 2012 he assumed senior status. He was succeeded by Judge Sheri Polster Chappell.
In the 2006 case Avista Management, Inc. v. Waussau Underwriters Insurance Company, Judge Presnell ordered the representatives of the two parties to compete in a game of "rock, paper, scissors" to determine which party could select the location for a pre-trial deposition, a matter he considered should have been trivially simple to come to agreement on. Presnell's comments on the crack/powder sentencing disparity were also noted by the media in that year.
In October 2016, he dismissed the H-1B visa lawsuit that two IT workers brought against Disney for outsourcing their jobs.
- "BIOGRAPHIES OF FEDERAL COURT JUDGES SITTING IN FLORIDA" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on July 30, 2017. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "President Obama Nominates Three to Serve on the US District Court". whitehouse.gov. 25 June 2012 – via National Archives.
- "Judge to lawyers: Play the game - Jun. 7, 2006". money.cnn.com.
- http://www.sptimes.com/2006/06/07/Tampabay/Rock__paper__scissors.shtml[bare URL]
- Brinkmann, Paul. "Orlando judge tosses Disney IT outsourcing lawsuit".
- Gregory A. Presnell at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.