Gregory Day is a novelist, poet and musician based in Victoria, Australia. He is best known for his Mangowak novels, which document generational, demographic and environmental change on the 21st century coast of southwest Victoria, Australia. He has also been acclaimed for his musical compositions and recordings, notably his settings and singing of the poetry of WB Yeats on the album The Black Tower", and his project The Flash Road", which narrates in a sung and highly literary musical style the building of the Great Ocean Road in southwest Victoria in the years following The Great War.
Awards and nominations
- Commonwealth Writers Prize, South East Asia and South Pacific Region, Best First Book, 2006: The Patron Saint of Eels - shortlisted
- Australian Literature Society Gold Medal, 2006: The Patron Saint of Eels - winner
- New South Wales Premier's Literary Awards, Christina Stead Prize for Fiction, 2008: Ron McCoy's Sea of Diamonds: A Novel - shortlisted
- Elizabeth Jolley Short Story Prize, 2011: "The Neighbour's Beans" - winner
- The Patron Saint of Eels (2005)"
- Ron McCoy's Sea of Diamonds (2007)"
- The Grand Hotel (2010)"
- Archipelago Of Souls (2015)*
- Six Different Ways (1999) - with Kieran Carroll and Michael Farrell etc.
- Trace (in collaboration with photographer Robert Ashton) (2003)
- Untitled Red: No Evangelism (1992)
- Barroworn: Mangowak Days (1995)
- The Black Tower: Songs From The Poetry Of WB Yeats (1998)
- Trace soundtrack with Silver Ray (2003)
- The Flash Road: Scenes From The Building Of The Great Ocean Road (2005)
- "ampliphones" (2014)
Selected Newspaper Features and Literary Criticism
- Tabucchi's Marmalade In The Hotel Doma on Crete"
- Through The Prism Of Ancient Practice"
- Betraying The Loch"
- On Michael Schmidt's The Novel"
- Remembering Liam Davison"
- The Submerged Moon - Nora Webster by Colm Toibin"
- Arthur Streeton In Lorne"
- To Know Calvino"
- Walter Benjamin A Critical Life"
- On Chris Andrews and Roberto Bolano"
- Tove Jansson"
- Song Of The Magpie"
- A Duty To Jenny"
- Pathways Of Cezanne and Morandi"
- Searching For The Real Kafka"
- Black Inc Anthologies 2014"
- On Robert Adamson"
- Hovering Around A Tiny Island Paradise"
- "H Is For Hawk"