|Born||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Notable works||The Patron Saint of Eels, The Flash Road: Scenes From The Building Of The Great Ocean Road, Archipelago Of Souls|
|Notable awards||ALS Gold Medal, Elizabeth Jolley Prize|
|Years active||1990 —|
Gregory Day is an Australian novelist, poet and musician.
Gregory Day is a novelist, poet and musician based in Victoria, Australia. He is well known for his Mangowak novels, which document generational, demographic and environmental change on the 21st century coast of southwest Victoria, Australia, and also for novels such as Archipelago of Souls and A Sand Archive, which explore the possibilities of finding the right balance between nature and culture through investigating the experience of the Australian character abroad. He has also been much acclaimed for his musical compositions and field recordings, notably his settings and singing of the poetry of William Butler Yeats on the album The Black Tower", and his project The Flash Road", which narrates, in a sung and highly chorographic style, the building of the Great Ocean Road in southwest Victoria in the years following The Great War.
Awards and nominations
- Commonwealth Writers Prize, South East Asia and South Pacific Region, Best First Book, 2006: The Patron Saint of Eels - shortlisted
- Australian Literature Society Gold Medal, 2006: The Patron Saint of Eels - winner
- New South Wales Premier's Literary Awards, Christina Stead Prize for Fiction, 2008: Ron McCoy's Sea of Diamonds: A Novel - shortlisted
- Elizabeth Jolley Short Story Prize, 2011: "The Neighbour's Beans" - winner
- Manly Artist Book Award, 2017: "A Smile at Arm's Length" - winner
- Tasmanian Premier's Literary Prizes, Tasmania Book Prize, 2017: "Archipelago of Souls" - shortlisted
- The Patron Saint of Eels (2005)
- Ron McCoy's Sea of Diamonds (2007)"
- The Grand Hotel (2010)"
- Archipelago Of Souls (2015)*
- Sand Archive 2018*
- visitors - with Jiri Tibor Novak 2012
- A Smile At Arm's Length - with Jiri Tibor Novak 2016
- Six Different Ways (1999) - with Kieran Carroll and Michael Farrell etc.
- Trace (in collaboration with photographer Robert Ashton) (2003)
- "A Smile At Arm's Length" (2016)
- Untitled Red: No Evangelism (1992)
- Barroworn: Mangowak Days (1995)
- The Black Tower: Songs From The Poetry Of WB Yeats (1998)
- Trace soundtrack with Silver Ray (2003)
- The Flash Road: Scenes From The Building Of The Great Ocean Road (2005)
- "The Ampliphones: emotional patterns of a new climate" (ongoing)
Selected Newspaper Features and Literary Criticism
- Tabucchi's Marmalade In The Hotel Doma on Crete"
- Through The Prism Of Ancient Practice"
- Betraying The Loch"
- On Michael Schmidt's The Novel"
- Remembering Liam Davison"
- The Submerged Moon - Nora Webster by Colm Toibin"
- Arthur Streeton In Lorne"
- To Know Calvino"
- Walter Benjamin A Critical Life"
- On Chris Andrews and Roberto Bolano"
- Tove Jansson"
- Song Of The Magpie"
- A Duty To Jenny"
- Pathways Of Cezanne and Morandi"
- Searching For The Real Kafka"
- Black Inc Anthologies 2014"
- On Robert Adamson"
- Hovering Around A Tiny Island Paradise"
- "H Is For Hawk"