Gregory Abelevich Freiman (born 1926) is a Russian mathematician known for his work in additive number theory, in particular, for proving Freiman's theorem. He is Professor Emeritus in Tel Aviv University.
Freiman was born in Kazan in 1926. He graduated from Moscow University in 1949, and obtained his Candidate of Sciences in Kazan University in 1956. From 1956 he worked in Elabuga, and in 1965 he defended his Doctor of Sciences degree under the joint supervision of Alexander Gelfond, Alexey G. Postnikov, and Alexander Buchstab. From 1967 he worked in Vladimir, and later in Kalinin (now Tver).
In the 1970-s and early 1980-s Freiman participated in the refusenik movement. His samizdat essay It seems I am a Jew, describing the discrimination against Jewish mathematicians in the Soviet Union. It was published in the US in 1980.
Later, Freiman immigrated to Israel, where he became professor in Tel Aviv University.
- Freiman, G.A. (1973). Foundations of a structural theory of set addition. Translations of Mathematical Monographs 37. American Mathematical Society.
- with Boris M. Schein: "Interconnections between the structure theory of set addition and rewritabilty". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 113 (4): 899–910. 1991. MR 1072338.
- Freiman, G. A. (1999). "Structure Theory of Set Addition". Astérisque 258: 1–33. MR 1701187.
- with Boris L. Granovsky: "Clustering in coagulation-fragmentation processes, combinatorial structures and additive number systems: Asymptotic formulae and limiting laws". Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 357 (6): 2483–2507. 2005. MR 2140447.
- "On finite subsets of nonabelian groups with small doubling". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 140: 2997–3002. 2012.
- Ruzsa, Imre Z. (2009). "Sumsets and structure". Combinatorial number theory and additive group theory. Adv. Courses Math. CRM Barcelona. Basel: Birkhäuser Verlag. pp. 87–210. MR 2522038.
- Nathanson, M. B. (1996). Additive Number Theory: Inverse Problems and the Geometry of Sumsets. Graduate Texts in Mathematics 165. Springer-Verlag.
- "Senior Faculty Members". Tel Aviv University.
- Gregory Freiman at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Гильмуллин, М.Ф.; Иванова, В.Ф.; Сабирова, Ф.М. (2008). "История физико-математического университета в лицах". =Проблемы исследования и преподавания дисциплин физико-математического цикла в вузе и школе: Материалы Всероссийской научно-практической конференции (in Russian). Елабуга: Изд-во ЕГПУ.
- "Anti-Semitism Alleged in Soviet Mathematics". Science 202 (4373): 1167–1170. 1978. doi:10.1126/science.202.4373.1167.
- Gordon, Basil (1975). "Review: Foundations of a structural theory of set addition by G. A. Freiman" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 81 (2): 393–396.