Gregory G. Katsas
|Gregory G. Katsas|
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit|
Assumed office |
December 8, 2017
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Janice Rogers Brown|
|Deputy White House Counsel|
January 20, 2017 – December 8, 2017
|United States Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Division|
July 2008 – January 20, 2009
|President||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Peter Keisler|
|Succeeded by||Tony West|
|United States Associate Attorney General|
June 22, 2007 – April 2008
|President||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||William W. Mercer (Acting)|
|Succeeded by||Kevin J. O'Connor|
Gregory George Katsas|
August 6, 1964
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
Princeton University (AB)|
Harvard Law School (JD)
Gregory George Katsas (born August 6, 1964) is a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
Katsas was born in 1964 in Boston to Greek immigrant parents. He earned his Bachelor of Arts cum laude from Princeton University and his Juris Doctor cum laude from Harvard Law School, where he was an editor of the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy and an executive editor of the Harvard Law Review.
Early in his career, he served as a law clerk to Justice Clarence Thomas, both at the District of Columbia Circuit and the United States Supreme Court, and to Judge Edward Roy Becker of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. From 2001 to 2009, he served in many senior positions in the United States Department of Justice, including Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Division and Acting Associate Attorney General.
Prior to joining the White House Counsel's Office, he was a partner at Jones Day, where he specialized in civil and appellate litigation. He has argued more than 75 appeals, including cases in the U.S. Supreme Court and every federal appellate court.
Federal judicial service
On September 7, 2017, President Trump nominated Katsas to serve as a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, to the seat vacated by Judge Janice Rogers Brown, who retired on August 31, 2017. On October 17, 2017, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee. On November 9, 2017, his nomination was reported out of committee by a 11–9 roll call vote. On November 27, 2017, the United States Senate voted to invoke cloture by a vote of 52–48. On November 28, 2017, the Senate voted to confirm Katsas by a vote of 50–48. He received his judicial commission on December 8, 2017.
- Karuppur, Abhiram (March 7, 2017). "Katsas '86 named Deputy Counsel and Deputy Assistant to President Trump". Daily Princetonian. Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- Profile of Gregory Katsas. VettingRoom.com. Retrieved November 17, 2017.
- "About". Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy. Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Questionnaire for Judicial Nominees: Gregory George Katsas
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Seventh Wave of Judicial Candidates". whitehouse.gov. September 7, 2017. Retrieved September 8, 2017. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- Severino, Carrie (September 7, 2017). "Who is Gregory Katsas?". National Review. Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- "Gregory Katsas to rejoin Jones Day". Jones Day. October 2009. Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- "Eight Nominations Sent to the Senate Today". whitehouse.gov. September 7, 2017. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- Marimow, Ann E. (September 7, 2017). "Trump taps White House legal adviser to serve on high-profile D.C. Circuit". Washington Post. Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for October 17, 2017
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – November 9, 2017, Senate Judiciary Committee
- Schneier, Cogan (November 7, 2017). "More Than 200 Civil Rights Groups Oppose DC Circuit Nominee Greg Katsas". Law.com. Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 115th Congress - 1st Session United States Senate Vote Summary: Vote Number 282, United States Senate, November 27, 2017
- U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 115th Congress - 1st Session United States Senate Vote Summary: Vote Number 283, United States Senate, November 28, 2017
- "Questionnaire for Judicial Nominees" (PDF). judiciary.senate.gov. Retrieved June 30, 2018.
- Gregory G. Katsas at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Biography at U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Gregory G. Katsas at Ballotpedia
- Gregory G. Katsas cases at the U.S. Supreme Court. Oyez.com
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Articles about Greg Katsas. AbovetheLaw.com.
William W. Mercer
| United States Associate Attorney General
Kevin J. O'Connor
| United States Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Division
Janice Rogers Brown
| Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit