His work has appeared in Islands, Landfall and Sport, Meanjin, Scripsi. He lives in Wellington.
Awards and honours
- 1988 Sargeson Fellowship
- 1995 Victoria University writing fellow
- 1997 Montana New Zealand Book Award for Poetry
- 2012 Prime Minister's Awards for Literary Achievement
- "Rocks, Te Namu Pa, Taranaki"; "Untitled"; "Beausoleil", "European", Shearsman 59
- "Printmaking Studio of John Drawbridge, Island Bay, Wellington", Shearsman 67/68
- "Wet Jacket Arm", Jacket 35, Early 2008
- Location of the Least Person (opening with the ‘Old Man South Road’ sequence), was published in Auckland in 1987
- Dunes and Barns (1988)
- Man with a Child’s Violin (1990)
- Great Lake (Sydney, 1991)
- Malachi, a charming verse novella (Adelaide, 1993)
- Days Beside Water, Auckland in 1993
- Winter I Was (Victoria University Press, 1999)
- Afternoon of an Evening Train (Victoria University Press, Wellington, 2005)
- Diesel Mystic (1989),
- Vincent O'Sullivan, ed. (1987). An Anthology of twentieth century New Zealand poetry. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-558163-8.
- "Running Dog The Poetry of Ken Bolton", Sport 16: Autumn 1996
- After Bathing At Baxter's, Victoria University Press, 2002.
- News of the Swimmer Reaches Shore (Carcanet Press, Manchester, 2007)
- Jenny Bornholdt; Gregory O'Brien; Mark Williams, eds. (1997). An anthology of New Zealand poetry in English. Oxford University Press New Zealand. ISBN 978-0-19-558338-0.
- "Previous winners". Creative New Zealand. Retrieved October 24, 2013.