Gregory Wright (comics)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009)|
|Area(s)||Writer, Editor, Colourist|
|Awards||Comics Buyer's Guide Fan Awards, 1990, 1996|
Gregory Wright (born December 22) is an American comic book editor, writer, and colorist known for his work on such Marvel Comics characters as Spider-Man, the Defenders, the Fantastic Four, Deathlok, and Silver Sable, and such DC Comics characters as Superman and Batman.
Wright grew up in New Castle, Pennsylvania, and went to film school in New York. In 1986, thanks to the recommendation of his good friend (and fellow aspiring filmmaker) D.G. Chichester, and while "editing two films and attempting four separate screenplays," Wright was hired as a secretary for the Marvel imprint Epic Comics. After working with Epic for six months, Wright was hired as Marvel editor Mark Gruenwald's assistant editor.
Since then, Wright has worked primarily as a freelance writer and colorist. Some of the titles he has written for include Deathlok, Silver Sable and the Wild Pack, and Morbius, the Living Vampire, all of which he also colored. Wright has spent long stints as a colorist on titles like Ghost Rider, Marvel Comics Presents, and Spider-Man for Marvel; and Batman, Nightwing, Star Man, Teen Titans, and The Titans for DC Comics.
With artist Jackson Guice, Wright created the character Crippler, in Daredevil Annual #7 (1991). The Crippler's overalls and speech (specifically the line "looks like I finally found someone who likes to play as rough as I do" from his first appearance) suggest he is patterned after the Willem Dafoe character in Streets of Fire. Along with artist Steven Butler, Wright created the character Man-Eater in Silver Sable and the Wild Pack #8 (Jan. 1993).
- Wright was given the Comics Buyer's Guide Fan Award for Favorite Colorist in both 1990 and 1996.
- Sensational She-Hulk #9 (Marvel, Dec. 1989) – co-written with Richard Starkings
- Deathlok Limited Series #1–4 (Co-written with Dwayne McDuffie) #1, 6–10, 17–22, 26–29, 31–34; Annual 1–2 (Marvel Comics, 1991–1994)
- Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #42–47 (Marvel Comics, 1993)
- Silver Sable and the Wild Pack #1–35 (Marvel Comics, 1992–1995)
- Morbius, the Living Vampire #9–23 (Marvel Comics, 1993–1994)
- "The Punisher- No Escape" Graphic Novel (Marvel Comics, 1990)
- "The Punisher Annual" Annual Volume 2 #2–3 (Marvel Comics, 1990–1991)
- "Clive Barker's Nightbreed #18–20 (Marvel/Epic Comics, 1992)
- "Daredevil" #328, 333–337 Annuals 5–10 (Marvel Comics, 1989–1994)
- "Cosmic Powers Unlimited" #2–5 (Marvel Comics, 1996-1996)
- "The Squeeg" #1–4 (David Lieto, 2002–2013)
- Zero Hour: Crisis in Time #1–5 (DC, 1994)
- X-Men: The Hidden Years #1–22 (Marvel Comics, Dec. 1999 – Sept. 2001)
- Elephantmen #9, 16, 17, 22–26 (Comicraft/Image, 2007–2010)
- Miller, John Jackson (June 10, 2005). "Comics Industry Birthdays". Comics Buyer's Guide. Archived from the original on October 29, 2010. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- Wright, Gregory. "Mark's Remarks," West Coast Avengers #18 (March 1987).
- Mithra, Kuljit. "Interview with Gregory Wright," ManWithoutFear.com (March 1998).