Gresham Professor of Divinity
The Professor of Divinity at Gresham College, London, gives free educational lectures to the general public. The college was founded for this purpose in 1596/7, when it appointed seven professors; this has since increased to eight and in addition the college now has visiting professors.
The Professor of Divinity is always appointed by the City of London Corporation.
(Years given as, say, 1596/7 refer to Old Style and New Style dates.)
|1||Anthony Wotton||March 1596/97|
|3||William Dakins||14 July 1604|
|4||George Mountayne||4 March 1606/07|
|5||William Osbolston||13 December 1610|
|6||Samuel Brooke||26 September 1612|
|7||Richard Holdsworth||28 November 1629|
|8||Thomas Horton||26 October 1641|
|9||George Gifford||7 June 1661|
|10||Henry Wells||2 July 1686|
|11||Edward Lany||31 July 1691|
|12||John Bridgen||25 September 1728|
|13||B Halifax||20 February 1760|
|14||H J Parker||7 February 1800|
|15||John William Burgon||11 December 1867|
|16||H E J Bevan||12 December 1888|
|17||W H Thompson||14 March 1904|
|1939–45 Lectures in abeyance|
|18||Henry Martyn Sanders||29 May 1946|
|22||Gordon Reginald Dunstan||1969|
|24||Ulrich E Simon||1973|
Bishop of London
|27||John Bowker||1 September 1992|
Bishop of Edinburgh
|1 September 1997|
|29||Gwen Griffith-Dickson||1 September 2001|
|30||Keith Ward DD FBA||1 September 2004|
|31||Richard Harries, Baron Harries of Pentregarth||1 September 2008|
|32||Raymond Plant, Lord Plant of Highfield||2012|
- Gresham College website Texts and video of recent lectures
- Gresham College old website, Internet Archive List of professors
- "Bridgen, John (BRGN717J)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Sanders, Henry Martyn (SNDS887HM)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Gresham College Press Release, 29 June 2012".
- "Gresham College Press Release, 08 April 2015". Archived from the original on 22 July 2015.
- Ward, John (1740). The Lives of the Professors of Gresham College. New York & London: Johnson Reprint Corporation.