|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
|Birth name||Gretchen Elisabeth Bleiler|
April 10, 1981 |
Toledo, Ohio, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Weight||126 lb (57 kg)|
Bleiler aspired to compete in the Winter X Games from a very young age, and found her passion in snowboarding at age 11 (1992). She has been riding ever since and became professional in 1996. Among her accomplishments, she jump-started the invert revolution for female riders as the first to land a Crippler 540 in competition, and won more halfpipe competitions in 2003, 2005 and 2006 than any other female snowboarder. In the pre-Olympic season she won four of the five US Olympic halfpipe qualifiers and is also a four-time X Games gold medalist, most recently winning the superpipe at Winter X Games XIV.
Starting in 2007, Bleiler expanded her career into snowboard and outerwear design, through Oakley and K2 Snowboarding, designing her own signature outerwear line for Oakley, and participating in the K2 Alliance, which develops and tests women's products, as well as working on the graphics for several K2 Boards. In 2008, she helped to create a new all-female invitational superpipe competition at Snowmass called the Snow Angels Invitational.
While competing in the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, many considered Bleiler a gold medal favorite. However, she fell on both of her final runs, and took 11th place.
During the summer, Gretchen Bleiler gives back to snowboarding's youth at High Cascade Snowboard Camp. In 2008, 2010 and 2014 she has been awarded a Signature Session™ at High Cascade where she will coach and mentor young kids.
When she is not competing, Bleiler enjoys surfing, mountain biking, interior design and fashion. She is also active in several environmental organizations, including the Aspen Snomass Save Snow campaign, and stopglobalwarming.org.
- 2010 X Games Superpipe Gold Medalist
- 2008 Winter Dew Tour Superpipe Champion (Breckenridge, Co)
- 2008 X Games Halfpipe Gold Medalist
- 2006 FIS World Cup 1st Place, Saas Fe, Switzerland
- 2006 Olympic silver medalist
- 2006 Overall Grand Prix Champion; won four of the five Grand Prix events determining Olympic team
- 2005 X Games and Gravity Games Gold Medalist
- 2005 US Open Halfpipe Champion
- FIS World Cup 1st Place, Bardonecchia, Italy
- Eight straight wins in 2003
- 2003 X Games Halfpipe Gold Medalist
- 2003 US Open Champion
- Won 2003 Overall Grand Prix Title
- One of only four females invited to coveted 2003 Arctic Challenge
- 2002 and 2003 Vans Triple Crown Overall Title Winner
- Won 2003 World SuperPipe Championships
- Voted 2006 Female Snowboarder of the Year at FUEL TV's inaugural Action Sports Awards
- Nominated for 2006 ESPY Award
- Won 2004 Colorado Female Athlete of the Year Award
- Earned Transworld Snowboarding's Reader's Choice Award in 2004
- Nominated for 2004 Laureus "Female Action Sports Athlete" Award
- Named Snowboarder and Transworld Snowboarding 2003 "Female Rider of the Year"
- Nominated for 2009 Teen Choice Awards "Other Action Sports Athlete – Female"
- "You don’t wake up and say: 'Today I’m going to be more creative. You do the things you love to do and try to get at their essence and allow things to emerge.' " Secrets to long haul creativity 2015
- Profile, nbcolympics.com
- whatever it takes to bring home something shiny, 24hourfitness.com
- Gretchen Bleiler, aspensnowmass.com
- 2003 US Open Halfpipe Finals, expn.go.com
- Vans Triple Crown of snowboarding, expn.go.com
- (swim suite)FHM Cover, transworldsnowboarding.com
- Silver medal for the American Gretchen Bleiler, oakleybuzz.com
- Gretchen Bleiler Interview, shredbetties.com
- Signature Sessions, 2014 High Cascade Snowboard Camp
- She's got the cake, scholastic.com
- Gretchen Bleiler at the International Ski Federation
- Gretchen Bleiler interview in frequency:The Snowboarder's Journal
- Gretchen's Official Website
- Gretchen Bleiler's U.S. Olympic Team bio ... with links to photo galleries, features
- Biography and interview at offthepodium.com
- Gretchen Bleiler on Go211.com Exclusive photos, videos and blogs submitted by Gretchen.
- Gretchen Bleiler Launches Signature Sports and Casual Apparel Line
- Gretchen Bleiler Signature Session at High Cascade Snowboard Camp