|Founder||Bill Elfers, Dan Gregory|
|Headquarters||Sand Hill Road
Menlo Park, California, U.S.
|Total assets||$3.5 billion|
Number of employees
Greylock Partners is one of the oldest venture capital firms, founded in 1965, with committed capital of over $3.5 billion under management. The firm focuses on early-stage companies in the consumer, enterprise software and infrastructure as well as semiconductor sectors.
Greylock was founded in 1965 in Cambridge, Massachusetts by Bill Elfers and Dan Gregory, joined shortly thereafter by Charlie Waite. Elfers and Waite had both worked at American Research and Development Corporation. The original capital of $10 million was committed by a group of six families. The company opened a second fund in 1973. The company opened its first office in Silicon Valley in 1999.
Greylock closed its 12th fund in 2005 with $500 million. In 2009, Greylock relocated its headquarters from the original Boston location to Silicon Valley. Also in 2009, Greylock opened its 13th fund with $575 million. In 2011, the 13th fund was increased to $1 billion. The company organized a 14th fund in 2013 with $1 billion.
In 2014, Greylock launched Communities, a series of networking events centered on areas like design, big data, infrastructure engineering, user growth, data science, and network security. The communities are composed of product managers, engineers, and technologists from Silicon Valley's largest and fastest growing companies who meet once a quarter. Their branch in Israel formerly known as Greylock IL was rebranded as 83north in January 2015.
Greylock Partners focuses on the following areas of investment:
- Consumer and Services: Financial, Healthcare, Internet, Mobile, Retail, Systems Integration
- Enterprise Infrastructure: Compute/Data Center, Management, Networking, Security, Storage
- Enterprise Software: Applications, Software-as-a-Service (SaaS)
- Semiconductor: EDA, Networking, Wireless
- Boston's Greylock Partners moves HQ to Silicon Valley Archived 2009-05-21 at the Wayback Machine.
- "About Us".
- Buderi, Robert (July 26, 2010). "Greylock's Henry McCance on Why the Firm Moved Its HQ to Silicon Valley and How Boston Must Find Its Google". Xconomy. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- McBride, Ruan (May 19, 2009). "A Blow to the Boston VC Scene? Greylock Partners Moving HQ to Silicon Valley". Xconomy. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- Miller, Claire Cain (May 19, 2009). "Is Boston Still a Venture Capital Hotbed?". The New York Times. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- Miller, Claire Cain (November 2, 2009). "Despite Slump, Venture Firm Sets Up $575 Million Fund". New York Times. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- Fowler, Nina (September 11, 2013). "Greylock Partners Raises $1BN Fund With Marketplaces and Enterprise in Mind". Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- Tomio Geron (September 10, 2013). "Facebook, LinkedIn Investor Greylock Partners Raises $1 Billion For 14th Fund". Forbes.
- Rao, Leena (July 1, 2015). "Greylock wants techies to schmooze more in person, not just online". Fortune. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- Orr Hirschauge (January 6, 2015). "Greylock IL Rebrands as 83North, Announces a $200 Million Fund". Wall Street Journal.
|This article about a private equity or venture capital firm based in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|