Type of site
|Internet Radio & Social networking|
|Owner||Kym Ryan (aka DJ Shigy)|
|Slogan(s)||Rubi-Ka's number one source of live audio entertainment!|
|Alexa rank||5,084,945 (May 2017[update])|
|Users||1607 registered users (April 2017).|
GridStream Productions (also known as GridStream or GSP) is a non-profit Internet radio broadcast station that plays rock, alternative, metal, indie and a vast variety of other music as well as talk shows and interviews. Founded in 2002, it is one of the oldest existing MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game) internet radio stations.
GridStream Productions was founded around May 2002 by Anarchy Online celebrity Lan Tarryk Kozar and Justin Boco Devane, and others, and continues to be run by some of the original staff and founders. The broadcasts are hosted from within the virtual worlds of Anarchy Online and The Secret World, MMORPG's by Funcom. The fan base is mostly AO (Anarchy Online) players, although there are listeners from other games and even listeners who do not play games. GridStream was one of the very first MMORPG radio stations on the internet and helped to pioneer the concept of broadcasting from within a virtual world, it is also currently one of the oldest MMORPG radio stations still broadcasting.
Shows and specials
GridStream Productions is run by players for players of Anarchy Online, and works closely with Funcom and the Anarchy Online developers, hosting parties, the large ARK holiday parties and the anniversaries of Anarchy Online, contests with in-game and sometimes real prizes. GridStream Productions has roughly 20 DJ's based all over the world, with different tastes in music providing a varied listening experience. GridStream also has done interviews, like the exclusive they did with Nick Wheeler of The All American Rejects in connection with their in-game concert in Anarchy Online. GridStream has been present at and broadcast from DragonCon. GridStream also planned the first ever official fan convention for Anarchy Online. It took place during August 10–12, 2012 in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Radio content varies but is mostly rock, alternative, metal, indie, electronics, talk shows, interviews, skits, funny or fake ads. There are no commercial ads on the station although they do promos for in-game organizations or player guilds. The humor and the radio station in general is mostly targeted to adults or mature audiences.
GridStream does not have a normal online request system, the Radio DJ's do take suggestions through the GSP forums, or use an in-game request system available only to the game's players.
GridStream Productions has no plans of leaving Anarchy Online, but may or may not cover other Funcom games. August 2, 2012 GridStream officially launched their sister station for The Secret World and is now broadcasting for TSW regularly.
- "gridstream.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- "GridStream Forum". Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- PC Gamer US Issue November 2004 (page 124), UK Issue October 2004 (page unknown), mentioned by Lewis, Ben (2006). Measuring player perceptions of advertising in online games (Thesis). Louisiana State University., listed in Radio by Medium. 2010. ISBN 9781158211593.
- "AO news release about GSP 10th anniversary". Archived from the original on June 20, 2014. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "2006 May AO Community update". Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "IGN Anarchy Online Vault interview". Retrieved June 20, 2014. "Stratics Anarchy Online interview". Retrieved June 20, 2014. "Interview with Tarryk". Retrieved June 20, 2014. at Dragoncon 2006 on the "Bobby Blackwolf Show". Retrieved June 20, 2014. "IRRK (in-game) interview". Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "Yahoo Games' Music and audio in Anarchy Online article". Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "2005 Anniversary news release". Retrieved June 20, 2014. "2007 ingame concert news release". Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "GSP AAR Interview (audio download)". Retrieved June 20, 2014., "AAR Ingame concert news". Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "Pre Dragoncon 2007 AO forum staff post". Retrieved June 20, 2014. "Post Dragoncon 2007 AO community article". Retrieved June 20, 2014. "Age of Conan Dragoncon 2007 announcement". Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "AO news release about AO CON". Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "Funcom TSW Developer Video (timestamp 1:11:25)". Retrieved June 20, 2014. "Funcom TSW post anniversary". Retrieved June 20, 2014.