|• Administrative body||Edmonton City Council|
|• Councillor||Jon Dziadyk|
|• Total||2.69 km2 (1.04 sq mi)|
|Elevation||677 m (2,221 ft)|
|• Density||1,752.4/km2 (4,539/sq mi)|
|• Change (2014–16)||24.6%|
|Redeveloped by Canada Lands Company|
Griesbach is a developing community in the Castledowns area in northwest Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. This mainly residential neighbourhood was formerly the site of a military base, part of CFB Griesbach. The land was transferred to Canada Lands Company to redevelop it. It remains a project of the Crown corporation.
The neighbourhood is bounded on the north by 153 Avenue, on the east by 97 Street, on the south by 137 Avenue, and on the west by Castle Downs Road. Travel north along 97 Street provides access to the current CFB Edmonton. Travel south along 97 Street provides access to the downtown core and the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. The area is expected to be accessible by the Metro Line LRT in the future.
Shopping and services are available just east of the neighbourhood at Northgate Centre and North Town Centre. Both malls are located at the intersection of 137 Avenue and 97 Street at Griesbach's south east corner. Shoppers Drug Mart opened in November 2016 in Griesbach Village, located in the southeast corner of the neighbourhood.
According to the City of Edmonton's 2005 municipal census, the most common type of residence in Griesbach were single-family dwellings. These accounted for four out ten (41%) of all residences in the neighbourhood. Row houses accounted for another three out of ten (30%) of residences. Duplexes accounted for the remaining three out of ten (29%). Nine out of every ten (91%) were rented with only one in ten (9%) being owner occupied.
In the 2016 municipal census, Griesbach had a population of 4,714 living in 1,754 dwellings, a 24.6% change from its 2014 population of 3,752. With a land area of 2.69 km2 (1.04 sq mi), it had a population density of 1,752.4 people/km2 in 2016.
- "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 3, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 4, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2016 Census" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved April 21, 2018.
- "'We still crave connections': Community leagues strive to engage neighbours". CBC. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- Canada Lands Company. Accessed May 14, 2019.
- "Griesbach Community League". Griesbach Community League. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- Duplexes include triplexes and fourplexes.
- Griesbach, City of Edmonton
- "2014 Municipal Census Results" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved April 21, 2018.