Moreton Bay, Queensland
Pine River along Dohls Rocks Road, 2016
|Population||6,839 (2016 census)|
|Location||24 km (15 mi) from Brisbane GPO|
|LGA(s)||Moreton Bay Region|
Griffin is a coastal suburb of Brisbane in Moreton Bay Region, Queensland, Australia. It is north of the Brisbane CBD, the state capital. The origin of the suburb name is from the Griffin family who migrated to Australia from the Orkney Islands off the northern coast of Scotland.
Griffin contains both residential and agricultural land usage as well as recreational, boating and fishing facilities along the northern shore of the Pine River. Further inland the Pine River diverges into the North Pine and South Pine rivers.
Osprey House is an environmental centre located in Griffin along the Pine River. The centre features displays, boardwalks, a bird hide and other visitor facilities.
In the 2011 census, Griffin recorded a population of 2,358 people, 50.9% female and 49.1% male. The median age of the Griffin population was 28 years, 9 years below the national median of 37. 73.6% of people living in Griffin were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were New Zealand 6.9%, England 4.7%, South Africa 1.2%, Philippines 0.6%, Fiji 0.6%. 89.3% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 0.6% Tokelauan, 0.5% Samoan, 0.4% Afrikaans, 0.4% Sinhalese, 0.4% Mandarin.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Griffin (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "Griffin (entry 45438)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- Page Title Archived September 4, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Osprey House Environmental Centre - Griffin". Moreton Bay Region. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Griffin (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Griffin, Queensland.|
|This Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|