||This article relies entirely upon a single source, the National Register Information System (NRIS) database or one of its mirrors. Articles based solely on the NRIS may contain errors. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Architect||William A. Edwards|
|NRHP Reference #||79000655|
|Added to NRHP||June 27, 1979|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Griffin-Floyd Hall.|
Griffin-Floyd Hall (originally known as Floyd Hall) is a historic academic building located on the northeastern portion of the University of Florida campus in Gainesville, Florida. On June 27, 1979, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. It currently houses the Department of Philosophy and Department of Statistics.
Griffin-Floyd Hall is named for Major Wilbur Leonidas Floyd, one of three graduate students to receive the first master's degrees ever awarded by the University of Florida, and assistant dean of the College of Agriculture from 1915 to 1938, and for Ben Hill Griffin, Jr., an alumnus of the college and a successful agricultural businessman.
Built in 1912, the building was originally used in part to house animal husbandry faculty. Located near the university's dairy, the first floor once held a cattle judging arena. The second floor housed a chapel for daily religious exercise.
- History of the University of Florida
- List of University of Florida buildings
- University of Florida Campus Historic District
- McCarthy, Kevin M.; Laurie, Murray D. (1997). Guide to the University of Florida and Gainesville. Sarasota, Fla.: Pineapple Press. ISBN 1561641340.
- Alachua County listings at National Register of Historic Places
- Alachua County listings at Florida's Office of Cultural and Historical Programs
- Virtual tour of University of Florida Campus Historic District at Alachua County's Department of Growth Management
- The University of Florida Historic Campus at UF Facilities Planning & Construction
- George A. Smathers Libraries
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. FL-393-A, "University of Florida, Floyd Hall, Gainesville, Alachua County, FL", 22 measured drawings
|This article about a property in Alachua County, Florida on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|