Grinding Gear Games
|Headquarters||Auckland, New Zealand|
|Products||Path of Exile|
Grinding Gear Games (abb. GGG) is a New Zealand video game developer company founded in 2006 and based in Auckland. A former independent developer, the studio was acquired by Chinese tech company Tencent in May 2018, after the Chinese company had published the studio's sole title, Path of Exile, in China (excluding Hong Kong and Macau). The open-beta build of Path of Exile was released worldwide in January 2013 and the 1.0 version of the game was released in October 2013.
GGG developed Path of Exile, which was released on 23 October 2013. During the open beta, from 23 January 2013 to release, more than 46,000 people participated. GGG crowd funded Path of Exile through allowing users to pre-purchase in-game microtransactions ahead of the games launch date. In only 6 days, GGG was able to raise over $245,000. The company is now[when?] focusing on releasing for more platforms, more regions, and on creating cosmetic items available for purchase through microtransactions.
In 2018, Tencent became a majority holder in GGG, acquiring 80% of the company's shares. The three co-founders hold the remaining 20%. Two of the co-founders also sit on the board of directors, alongside 3 appointed by Tencent in April of 2018.
|2013||Path of Exile||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, macOS|
|TBA||Path of Exile 2||TBA|
- "Shareholdings". app.companiesoffice.govt.nz.
- "Internet giant Tencent Holdings acquires majority sKiwi gaming firm Grinding Gear Games". The New Zealand Herald. 21 May 2018. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- "Forum - Announcements - Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games - Path of Exile". Path of Exile. Retrieved 2018-05-28.
- "Path of Exile Enters Open Beta". IGN.com. 24 January 2013. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- "Path of Exile 1.0, Steam, and sweet, sweet revenge". engadget.com. 4 October 2013. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- "Grinding Gear Games". Grinding Gear Games. 2012-05-05. Retrieved 2012-05-05.
- "Kiwi RPG Path of Exile secures US$200,000 in crowdfunding". Gameplanet. 2012-04-11. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "NZ game Path of Exile crowd-funds $245,000 in six days". PCWorld. 2012-04-11. Archived from the original on 2012-05-05. Retrieved 2012-05-05.