|Description||Large, furry, orange creature in Flyers regalia|
|First seen||September 24, 2018|
|Related mascot(s)||Phillie Phanatic|
Gritty is the official team mascot for the National Hockey League (NHL)'s Philadelphia Flyers. Gritty was created by Brian Allen of Flyland Designs with help from David Raymond, the first man to portray the Phillie Phanatic. He was introduced on September 24, 2018.
Gritty is a 7-foot (2.1 m) furry orange creature with googly eyes who wears Philadelphia Flyers' gear. The mascot has been compared to the Phillie Phanatic, the mascot for the Philadelphia Phillies. The Flyers commissioned Brian Allen of Flyland Designs in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, to design Gritty in August 2018. David Raymond, who portrayed the Phillie Phanatic, consulted on Gritty's creation.
Gritty made his debut on September 24, 2018, and appeared on the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon several days later. Prior to Gritty's debut, the Flyers were one of few NHL teams without an official mascot.
Many sources brought attention to his appearance, which could be construed as frightening. Gritty was lampooned on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and Saturday Night Live. He was re-appropriated as a socialist and antifa meme in a manner similar to Pepe the Frog by various groups.
Soon, the residents of Philadelphia began to embrace Gritty. On October 24, 2018, the Philadelphia City Council passed a formal resolution honoring Gritty, declaring that he honored the city's spirit and passion.
- "I'm David Raymond, Creator of Gritty, and This Is How I Work". LifeHacker. October 10, 2018. Retrieved October 10, 2018.
- "Flyers Introduce Official Team Mascot". PhiladelphiaFlyers.com. NHL Enterprises, L.P. September 24, 2018. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- "Flyers introduce new 'Gritty' addition to team". NBC Sports Philadelphia. September 24, 2018. Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- "The Internet Thinks the Philadelphia Flyers' New Mascot Named 'Gritty' Is a Nightmare". Maxim. Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- "Meet Gritty: The Flyers' new team mascot". 6abc Philadelphia. September 24, 2018. Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- Muthler, Lauren (September 24, 2018). "Philadelphia Flyers' new mascot, 'Gritty,' designed by Belleofnte's Brian Allen | Centre Daily Times". Centredaily.com. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- Maggie Smolka (September 27, 2018). "Bellefonte man helps create Philadelphia Flyer's new mascot". Wearecentralpa.com. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- "NHL mascot rankings: Gritty's big debut". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- "LOOK: New Flyers mascot Gritty dances with Jimmy Fallon, gets punched by Ricky Gervais". CBSSports.com. Retrieved September 30, 2018.
- Yuhas, Alan (November 1, 2018). "Gritty's First Month: The Heroic Ascendance of a 'Ghastly Empty-Eyed Muppet'". The New York Times. Retrieved November 1, 2018.
- Nick Vadala (October 1, 2018). "John Oliver compares Brett Kavanaugh to Flyers mascot Gritty on 'Last Week Tonight'". .philly.com. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- EJ Smith (September 30, 2018). "â€˜Saturday Night Liveâ€™sâ€™ Weekend Update takes its shot at Gritty". philly.com. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- Ellie Silverman (October 13, 2018). "What is Gritty? A â€˜lovable monster,â€™ the orange embodiment of Philly and the Flyers, or a brand marketing breakthrough?". .philly.com. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- "Gritty, Stuff Of Nightmares, Has Been Officially Welcomed To Philadelphia". NPR. April 18, 2018. Retrieved October 28, 2018.