||This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2015)
In the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, the groaning spirit is a type of undead. The creature is also known as the banshee ( BAN-shee).
The groaning spirit (banshee) first appeared in the first edition in the original Monster Manual (1977).
The groaning spirit (banshee) appeared in second edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in Monstrous Compendium Volume Two (1989), and is reprinted as the banshee in the Monstrous Manual (1993).
The banshee appeared in third edition Dungeons & Dragons in Monster Manual II (2002).
The groaning spirit is a spirit of an evil female elf, whose keening wail causes hearers to die on the spot.
The groaning spirit appeared in the Tome of Horrors (2002) from Necromancer Games.
The banshee appeared in Paizo Publishing's book Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 2 (2010), on page 41.
- ^ Mentzer, Frank. "Ay pronunseeAY shun gyd" Dragon #93 (TSR, 1985)
- ^ Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual (TSR, 1977)
- ^ Cook, David, et al. Monstrous Compendium Volume Two (TSR, 1989)
- ^ Stewart, Doug, ed. Monstrous Manual (TSR, 1993)
- ^ Bonny, Ed, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Skip Williams, and Steve Winter. Monster Manual II (Wizards of the Coast, 2002)
- ^ Green, Scott; Peterson, Clark (2002). Tome of Horrors. Necromancer Games. pp. 159–160. ISBN 1-58846-112-2.
- ^ Baur, Wolfgang, Jason Bulmahn, et al. Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 2 (Paizo Publishing, 2010)