Consumer Brands Association
The Consumer Brands Association, formerly the Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA), is a trade association of the food industry. It represents the world's largest branded food, beverage and consumer product companies.
The Grocery Manufacturers Association was founded in 1908 as the Grocery Manufacturers of America. It is headquartered at 2401 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D.C., and in 2017 announced plans to relocate to Arlington County, Virginia.
On January 1, 2007 GMA merged with the Food Products Association and formed the world's largest trade association representing the food, beverage, and consumer products industry (GMA/FPA). Effective January 1, 2008, the association adopted the single name Grocery Manufacturers Association.
In May 2020, The Consumer Brands Association launched the Critical Infrastructure Supply Chain Council (CISCC), an integrated resolution of 35 or more trade associations dedicated to addressing short- and long-term supply chain weaknesses and challenges.
"As a result of an outbreak salmonellosis associated with the consumption of peanut butter in 2006-2007", and another with baby food during the same period, efforts were made by GMA members "to reassess industry practices for eliminating salmonella in low-moisture products" because "Salmonella outbreaks from low-moisture products are relatively rare but often impact large numbers of people." A document resulted from this effort entitled "CONTROL OF SALMONELLA IN LOW-MOISTURE FOODS".
On December 5, 2013, the GMA sent a petition to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in support of a new rule allowing food made with genetically modified products to be labeled as 'natural'.
Board of directors
This article is about an event or subject that may not be current but does not specify the time period.
This section needs to be updated.January 2019)(
- Jeffrey Ansell, Chairman, President and CEO of Sun Products
- J.P. Bilbrey, President and CEO of The Hershey Company
- J.S. Brown III, President and CEO of Bruce Foods
- John Bryant, President and CEO of Kellogg Company
- Mark Clouse, President for North America of Mondelēz International
- Sean Connolly, CEO of Hillshire Brands
- Brian C. Cornell, CEO of PepsiCo Americas Foods
- James R. Craigie, Chairman and CEO of Church & Dwight
- George E. Deese, Chairman and CEO of Flowers Foods
- J. Alexander M. Douglas Jr., President for North America of The Coca-Cola Company
- Brian J. Driscoll, CEO of Diamond Foods, Inc
- Stanley K. Dunbar, President and CEO of Moody Dunbar
- Gregg L. Engles, Chairman and CEO of Dean Foods
- Jeffrey M. Ettinger, Chairman, President and CEO of Hormel
- Tom Ferriter, President and CEO of Bush Brothers and Company
- Joseph E. Gallo, President and CEO of E & J Gallo Winery
- Robert J. Gamgort, CEO of Pinnacle Foods
- David N. Geise, Chairman and CEO of Furmano Foods
- William G. Gisel Jr., President and CEO of Rich Products
- Paul Grimwood, Chairman and CEO of Nestlé USA, Inc
- Kenneth E. Guise Jr., President and CEO of Knouse Foods
- James B. Hannan, CEO and President of Georgia-Pacific
- Melanie L. Healey, Group President for North America of Procter & Gamble
- Kevin J. Hunt, President and CEO of Ralston Foods
- Bradley C. Irwin, President and CEO of Welch's
- William R. Johnson, Chairman, President and CEO of the H.J. Heinz Company
- Donald R. Knauss, Chairman and CEO of Clorox
- Kees Kruythoff, President for North America for Unilever
- Christopher D. Lischewski, President and CEO of Bumble Bee Foods
- Reid V. MacDonald, President and CEO of Faribault Foods
- Apu Mody, President for North America of Mars, Incorporated
- John S. Morgan, Chairman and CEO of Morgan Foods
- Denise M. Morrison, President and CEO of Campbell Soup Company
- Gregory R. Page, Chairman and CEO of Cargill
- Randy C. Papadellis, President and CEO of Ocean Spray
- Clement Pappas, CEO of Clement Pappas
- Christopher J. Policinski, President and CEO of Land O'Lakes
- C. Larry Pope, President and CEO of Smithfield Foods
- Gary J. Prince, President of Bimbo Bakeries USA
- Richard K. Smucker, CEO of The J.M. Smucker Co.
- Thomas Stokes, President and CEO of Tree Top, Inc.
- W. Anthony Vernon, President for North America of Kraft Foods
- David J. West, President and CEO of Del Monte Foods
- Alan D. Wilson, Chairman, President and CEO of McCormick & Company
- David J. Yanda, President and CEO of Lakeside Foods
- "Head of grocery group talks virus, shopping". Finance & Commerce. Associated Press. 2020-04-20. Retrieved 2020-04-21.
- Company Overview of Grocery Manufacturers Association
- GMA History
- Sernovitz, Daniel J. (February 9, 2017). "With Nestle incoming, leading industry trade association also headed to Rosslyn". American City Business Journals.
- Yunji de Nies, Michelle Obama tells Grocery Manufacturers Association to ‘Step it Up’, ABC News, March 16, 2010
- Remarks by the First Lady at a Grocery Manufacturers Association Conference Archived 2012-10-10 at the Wayback Machine, WhiteHouse, March 16, 2010
- Food Marketing Institute
- Powerful Food Lobby Group Loses Members Amid Industry Culture Clash, Dan Charles, The Salt, January 5, 2018
- Bold New Agenda, New Name: GMA to Relaunch as Consumer Brands Association™ in 2020], GMA press release, September 26, 2019
- "StackPath". www.vendingmarketwatch.com. 7 May 2020. Retrieved 2020-05-08.
- "Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Tennessee Infections Linked to Peanut Butter (FINAL UPDATE)". CDC. U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. 7 March 2007.
- Sotir, Mark J.; Ewald, Gwen; Kimura, Akiko C.; Higa, Jeffrey I.; Sheth, Anandi; Troppy, Scott; Meyer, Stephanie; Hoekstra, R Michael; Austin, Jana; Archer, John; Spayne, Mary; Daly, Elizabeth R.; Griffin, Patricia M.; Salmonella Wandsworth Outbreak Investigation Team (2009). "Outbreak of Salmonella Wandsworth and Typhimurium Infections in Infants and Toddlers Traced to a Commercial Vegetable-Coated Snack Food". The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. 28 (12): 1041–1046. doi:10.1097/INF.0b013e3181af6218. PMID 19779390.
- CONTROL OF SALMONELLA IN LOW-MOISTURE FOODS (PDF). Grocery Manufacturers Association. 4 February 2009.
- Group Seeks Special Label for Food: ‘Natural’, New York Times, December 19, 2013
- GMA Board of Directors
- The Coca-Cola Company, Operations Leadership: J. Alexander M. Douglas Jr.