Gronau, North Rhine-Westphalia
Saint Anthony Church
|• Mayor||Sonja Jürgens (SPD)|
|• Total||78.63 km2 (30.36 sq mi)|
|Elevation||27 m (89 ft)|
|• Density||600/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||0 25 62
0 25 65 (Epe)
Gronau (Westf.) (German pronunciation: [ˈɡʁoːnaʊ]) is a city in the district of Borken, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is located near the border with the Netherlands, approx. 10 km east of Enschede. Documentary evidence of Gronau dates to 1365.
The Dutch singer Rania Zeriri lives in Gronau. The Polish tennis player Agnieszka Radwańska grew up here; her father was tennis coach at the local club. Blaise Nkufo, a Swiss soccer player with African roots, former player of the Dutch football club FC Twente, lived in Gronau. Klaus Vogelgesang, a German artist, grew up in Gronau.
Born in Gronau
- Winfried Berkemeier (born 1953), footballer
- Bernd Düker (born 1992), football player
- Rolf Eckrodt (born 1942), CEO of Mistubishi Motors 2001–2005
- Tim Hölscher (born 1995), footballer
- Cengiz Koç (born 1977), former German heavyweight boxer of Turkish descent
- Udo Lindenberg (born 1946), musician
- Erich Lindenberg (1938–2006), painter, elder brother of Udo Lindenberg
- Jens Wissing (born 1988), football player
Gronau can by reached by road via the Autobahn A 30 and A 31, the Dutch Rijksweg 35, the Bundesstraße B 54 and B 474. Gronau (Westf) railway station connects Gronau with Enschede in the Netherlands via the Dortmund–Enschede railway and the Münster–Enschede railway. The nearest airports are Münster Osnabrück International Airport and Enschede Airport Twente, although the latter has no scheduled flights.
Gronau is twinned with:
- Media related to Gronau (Westf.) at Wikimedia Commons
|This Borken district location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|