|Broadcast area||Internet radio|
|Slogan||"New radio. Cool Modern grooves. True."|
Groovera (aka. Groovera New Modern Radio) is an independent, multi-channel, commercial-free, and listener-supported Internet-only radio station dedicated to "chill-out music." Specifically, Groovera featured mixes of downtempo, future lounge, nu-jazz (aka. "future jazz"), ambient pop, trip hop, psybient and neo-soul, as well as other related and contributing genres. Groovera ended operation temporarily in May 2012 and announced on Facebook on June 19, 2012 that they have resumed operation and introduced three new channels: Exotic Lounge, Chill Surreal, and Soul Nouveau.
Groovera, originally known as "OverXposure.FM", began in Seattle on August 23, 2003 as a web radio stream called FrostByte Groove Lounge. OverXposure.FM underwent brand transition in September 2006 and became Groovera (pronounced "groov-AIR-ah"), a portmanteau combining the words "groove" and the Latin word "vera" meaning "true" or "pure". As part of the brand transition, the FrostByte Groove Lounge name was retired and the channel rotation divided into the currently existing channels Jet City Lounge and Low Mercury. The foundations of Ambient Popsicle and forthcoming channel Jazz ala Mode were extracted from the FrostByte Groove Lounge rotation in April 2004. Groovera radio channels first appeared in iTunes Radio in February 2007.
Groovera music channels
- Jet City Lounge: A mix of instrumental lounge, downtempo, nu-jazz, and brokenbeat, with intermittent vocals. This is the channel that was previously known as FrostByte Groove Lounge.
- Audio Popsicle (formerly Ambient Popsicle): A mix of alternative pop, lounge, vocal downtempo, nu-jazz, ambient pop, trip hop, neo soul, synthpop and deep house.
- Low Mercury: A mix of instrumental downtempo, chill-out, psybient, illbient, ambient dub, ambient techno, nu-jazz, and IDM, featuring the occasional select vocal track. Formerly the evening rotation of FrostByte Groove Lounge.
- Chill Surreal: The dreamy, trippy, shadowy side of vocal lounge music (dream pop, trip hop, ethereal pop, alternative adult contemporary & chilled gothic pop)
- Soul Nouveau: European-styled neo-soul, funky lounge and nu-jazz
- Exotic Lounge: Music for sun-chasing world travelers
- 2005 Web Radio Awards: "Best Chilled / Ambient Station" (as OverXposure.FM)
- 2005 Web Radio Awards: "Best Downtempo DJ" (as OverXposure.FM)
- "Award-winning Chillout Web Radio Station OverXposure.FM is now Groovera, More Channels". PRLog. September 25, 2006. Retrieved 2006-11-25.
- Heydari, Farhad (June 13, 2006). "Sound Advice:Four free online stations for musical entertainment on the road". Time Magazine Europe. Retrieved 2006-11-25.