Gross Covered Bridge
|Gross Covered Bridge|
|Klinepeter's, Overflow, Beaver Springs|
|Census-designated place||Beaver Springs|
|Crosses||tributary of Middle Creek|
|Length||100 ft (30 m)|
|- Mainspan||26.9 m (88 ft) |
|Width||17 ft (5 m)|
|- Roadway width||4.8 m (16 ft) |
|Overhead Clearance||11.25 ft (3 m)|
|Design||Burr Arch Truss Bridge|
|Owned and Maintained by||Spring Township|
|NRHP Ref Number||77001194|
|Load||5 short tons (4.5 t)|
|Added to NRHP||August 29, 1977|
|MPS||Covered Bridges of Juniata and Snyder Counties TR|
|Wikimedia Commons: Gross Covered Bridge|
The Gross Covered Bridge is 100-foot (30 m) Burr Arch truss covered bridge in the census-designated place of Beaver Springs, Spring Township in Snyder County, Pennsylvania. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 29, 1997 and was documented by the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) in 1981.
The covered bridge was built in 1871 and originally spanned Middle Creek north of Beaver Springs on Township Route 574. It was moved in 1982 to its present location on Township Route 427 in Beaver Springs, spanning a run-off channel that flows into Middle Creek. The bridge was moved when a dam and resulting reservoir were created on the stream originally spanned by the bridge.
- List of bridges documented by the Historic American Engineering Record in Pennsylvania
- List of bridges on the National Register of Historic Places in Pennsylvania
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Snyder County, Pennsylvania
- Federal Highway Administration National Bridge Inventory (2007). "Place Name: Spring (Township of), Pennsylvania; NBI Structure Number: 547211181200060; Facility Carried: Railroad Ave; Feature Intersected: Flood Channel". Nationalbridges.com (Alexander Svirsky). Retrieved April 16, 2009. Note: this is a formatted scrape of the 2006 official website, which can be found here for Pennsylvania: "PA06.txt". Federal Highway Administration. 2006. Retrieved April 16, 2009.
- Evans, Benjamin D.; June R. Evans (2001). Pennsylvania's Covered Bridges: A complete guide. University of Pittsburgh Press. p. 241. ISBN 0-8229-5764-7.
- Conwill, Joseph D (2004). Covered Bridges across North America. St. Paul, MN: MBI. p. 103.