|Genres||Death metal, black metal|
|Years active||1988–1990, 1996, 2007|
|Associated acts||At the Gates, Liers in Wait, Arckanum|
Kristian Wåhlin (Necrolord)
|Past members||Alf Svensson
Grotesque was a Swedish death metal/black metal band formed in Gothenburg, Sweden in September 1988 from the remains of Conquest by Wåhlin (Necrolord) and Nordgren (Virgintaker) with the addition of Lindberg (Goatspell). The band was, however, short-lived and recorded a few demos and an EP. The band's original drummer Shamaatae formed the black metal band Arckanum in 1993. After the demise of Grotesque Lindberg and Svensson started At the Gates, while Necrolord created his own band Liers in Wait and focused more on creating artwork for several bands including Dissection and Emperor. In 1996, three members, Goatspell, Necrolord, and Offensor got back together and recorded two songs for the release of a compilation album, which was later re-released as a split album with At the Gates EP Gardens of Grief.
Grotesque briefly reformed in 2007 for a single invite-only concert on January 26 in Stockholm, to celebrate the publication of Daniel Ekeroth's book Swedish Death Metal. Nirvana 2002 and Interment also reunited for the concert.
- Tomas Lindberg (Goatspell) - Vocals (1988–1990, 1996, 2007)
- Kristian Wåhlin (Necrolord) - Guitars (1988–1990, 1996, 2007)
- Insultor - Guitar (2007)
- Per Nordgren (Virgintaker) - Bass (1988, 2007)
- Tomas Eriksson (Offensor) - Drums (1989–1990, 1996, 2007)
- Ripped from the Cross (demo, 1988)
- The Black Gate Is Closed (demo, 1989)
- Incantation (EP, 1990)
- In the Embrace of Evil (compilation, 1996)
- Daniel Ekeroth: Swedish Death Metal. Second edition. Brooklyn, NY: Bazillion Points 2009, p. 249, accessed on 8 October 2012.
- "Classic Swedish death metal bands Grotesque, Nirvana 2002 to reunite for special concert". Blabbermouth.net. 2007-01-16. Retrieved 2007-01-17.
- Black Sun Records Page with biography, discography, and sample - Currently Offlline
- Tartarean Desire biography