This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Casual dining restaurant|
|Founded||October 25, 1969|
|Headquarters||Freeport, Maine, U.S.|
Ground Round Grill & Bar, an American casual dining restaurant, was founded in 1969 by Howard Johnson's. As of January 17, 2010 Ground Round is owned by Independent Owners Cooperative, LLC, a group of 30 franchisee owners based in Freeport, Maine.
During the 1970s and 1980s, Ground Round was well known for its children's parties, showing silent movies and cartoons on a big screen, a mascot named Bingo the Clown and for passing out whole peanuts where consumers were not discouraged from dropping the shells on the floor. The newest incarnation of Ground Round markets to families and also to the adult dining and cocktails crowd with a Sports Bar and Lounge section.
In February 2004 the franchisor for Ground Round filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. In the process, all 59 corporate-owned restaurants (almost half of the Ground Rounds then open) abruptly closed their doors. A group of franchisees joined together in order to buy out the company, at the time Ground Round, Inc., and started the Ground Round Independent Owners Cooperative, LLC (GR IOC).
- "Welcome to New Jersey's last Ground Round". NJ.com. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- (http://www.lform.com), Lform 2017 (2017-06-23). "MRM Franchise Feed: White Castle Weddings, Ground Round Growing and KFC in Space". Modern Restaurant Management. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- "It's 1981 all over again: Ground Round is back". OnMilwaukee.com. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "Ground Round Grill & Bar plans new restaurant in Rutland | Vermont Business Magazine". www.vermontbiz.com. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- The Ground Round Rebound, Fortune Small Business, February 1, 2005
- Daley, Jason (2012-05-29). "How Ground Round, Sizzler and Bennigan's Bounced Back from Bankruptcy". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
|This US-based restaurant or restaurant chain article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|