|Founder||Merger of Grove Press and Atlantic Monthly Press|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||154 W. 14th Street, New York City, NY 10011|
|Distribution||Publishers Group West (US)|
Atlantic Books (UK)
|Key people||Morgan Entrekin (president and publisher)|
Grove Atlantic, Inc. is an American independent publisher, based in New York City. Formerly styled "Grove/Atlantic, Inc.", it was created in 1993 by the merger of Grove Press and Atlantic Monthly Press. As of 2018 Grove Atlantic calls itself "An Independent Literary Publisher Since 1917". That refers to the official date Atlantic Monthly Press was established by the Boston magazine The Atlantic Monthly.
History and operations
The company's imprints Grove Press, Atlantic Monthly Press, The Mysterious Press, and Black Cat (as of October 2018) publish literary fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama and translations. Former imprints include Canongate U.S. and Open City.
Its authors include Donna Leon, Kathy Acker, Samuel Beckett, Mark Bowden, William S. Burroughs, Frantz Fanon, Richard Ford, Charles Frazier, Jay McInerney, Jim Harrison, Henry Miller, Kenzaburō Ōe, Harold Pinter, Kay Ryan, John Kennedy Toole, and Jeanette Winterson.
In 1990 the imprint Atlantic Monthly Press was publishing 40 new hardcover titles a year including both fiction and non-fiction.
The company's president and publisher is Morgan Entrekin. In 2015, Entrekin working with other publishers, booksellers, and literati introduced Literary Hub, an online website for the literary world.
The company's imprints published the books by the 2006 and 2007 recipients of the Man Booker Prize: The Inheritance of Loss (Hamish Hamilton / Atlantic Monthly Press) by Kiran Desai; and The Gathering (Jonathan Cape / Black Cat) by Anne Enright, respectively.
Editors and publishers
- Gary Fisketjon, Editorial Director 1986-1990
- Ann Godoff, Editor-in-Chief, promoted in 1990
- Carl Navarre, Publisher
- List of companies based in New York City
- List of English-language book publishing companies
- List of English-language small presses
Grove Atlantic: An Independent Literary Publisher Since 1917 (homepage). Grove Atlantic, Inc. (groveatlantic.com). Retrieved 2018-10-31.
The footer displays logos and names of the four imprints.
Menu item "About: Our Story" is a timeline, from 1917 with images.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on June 15, 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-08.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- McDowell, Edwin (May 2, 1990). "Book Notes". The New York Times. Retrieved May 21, 2018.
- Méndez, Teresa (January 14, 2004). "The Publisher as Protagonist – In an Industry Dominated by Big Firms, Grove/Atlantic Chief Morgan Entrekin Is a Small-House Standard Bearer for an Aarlier Age, a Writers' Hero in Pursuit of Real Literature (and an Artful Blockbuster or Two Along the Way)". The Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- Jennifer Maloney (February 5, 2015). "Literary Hub Is a New Home for Book Lovers". WSJ.
- [dead link] "Man Booker Awards". Bookreporter.com. 2007. Archived from the original on December 5, 2008. Retrieved January 8, 2009.
- Genzlinger, Neil (November 2, 2020). "Joan Bingham, Catalyst in a Publishing Merger, Dies at 85". New York Times. Retrieved November 3, 2020.
- "Who We Are". Atlantic Books. Archived from the original on August 16, 2011. Retrieved August 26, 2011.
- [dead link] Deahl, Rachel (November 1, 2005). "Grove/Atlantic Makes News for Book and Publisher". PW Daily. Archived from the original on August 16, 2007. Retrieved January 7, 2009.
- Reid, Calvin (May 17, 2004). "Grove Atlantic Revives Black Cat Imprint". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved January 7, 2009.
- Official website
- Works by or about Grove/Atlantic in libraries (WorldCat catalog) – but search WorldCat for the imprint names