Grover Cleveland Birthplace
Caldwell Presbyterian Church Manse
|Location||207 Bloomfield Avenue|
Caldwell, NJ 07006
|NRHP reference #||77000861|
|Added to NRHP||1977-11-16|
The Grover Cleveland Birthplace is a registered historic site located in Caldwell, Essex County, New Jersey, United States. It is the only house museum dedicated to U.S. President Grover Cleveland.
It was the home where Grover Cleveland was born in 1837. The building is also known as the Caldwell Presbyterian Church Manse and served as a Presbyterian church parsonage for the Cleveland family while Grover's father, Rev. Richard Falley Cleveland, served as a pastor of the local church. Cleveland was originally named Stephen Grover in honor of the first pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Caldwell, but he did not use the name Stephen in his adult life. The family moved to New York in 1841. A group of private citizens purchased the house in the early twentieth century to open it as a museum. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Essex County" (PDF). New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. April 1, 2010. p. 5. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 27, 2009. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- "NJDEP-Parks and Forests-Centennial of NJ State Historic Site". State.nj.us. Retrieved 2017-07-22.
- Grover Cleveland Birthplace, National Park Service. Accessed January 17, 2018. "The Grover Cleveland Birthplace State Historic Site is the only house museum in the country dedicated to the interpretation of President Cleveland’s life."
- Nevins, 10; Graff, 3
- New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places in Essex County, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Historic Preservation Office, updated November 20, 2017. Accessed January 17, 2018. "Old Manse of the Caldwell Presbyterian Church (ID#1070) 207 Bloomfield Avenue; SR: 12/27/1976; NR: 11/16/1977 (NR Reference #: 77000861) - (Grover Cleveland Birthplace)"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grover Cleveland Birthplace.|
- Official Grover Cleveland Birthplace Website
- National Park Birthplace Website
- New Jersey State Birthplace
- "Life Portrait of Grover Cleveland", from C-SPAN's American Presidents: Life Portraits, broadcast from the Grover Cleveland Birthplace, August 13, 1999
|This article about a property in New Jersey on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This New Jersey museum-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|