Grover Carr Furr III (born April 3, 1944) is an American professor of Medieval English literature at Montclair State University. He is however best knownas the author of several books about the Soviet Union under Stalin, and especially the book Khrushchev Lied where he describes the "Secret Speech" by Nikita Khrushchev as "completely and provably false".
Born in Washington, D.C., Grover Furr graduated from McGill University in Montreal, Canada in 1965 with a BA in English. He received a Ph.D in Comparative literature from Princeton University in 1978. Since February 1970 he has been on the faculty at Montclair State University in New Jersey, where he specializes in medieval English literature.
Works, beliefs and reception
He is mostly known for his book Khrushchev Lied. The book attacked the speech given by Nikita Khrushchev, called On the Cult of Personality and Its Consequences, but more commonly referred to in the West as the "Secret Speech." It was positively reviewed in the Journal of the Research Group on Socialism and Democracy by Sven-Eric Holmström, who declared it to be a valuable contribution to the "revisionist" school of Soviet and Communist studies. In May 2014 he held a talk at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. In a review of "Khruschev Lied", the Russian daily Russkii Vestnik described Furr's research as "objective" and "impressive."
Grover Furr has been described by historians John Earl Haynes and Harvey Klehr as a revisionist author who, according to Cathy Young, was "on a career-long quest to exonerate Stalin". Furr believes that the Katyn massacre was not committed by the NKVD, despite Russia officially admitting as of 2010, that the killings were carried out by the Soviet Union. Furr has also received some negative attention from a number of American conservative media outlets. David Horowitz listed him as one of the "101 most dangerous academics in America", and criticizes him for believing that "it was morally wrong for the United States to bring about the collapse of the Soviet Union", denying the Katyn massacre, Stalin's antisemitism, and on a number of other historical issues. Furr was also criticized by websites like FrontPage Magazine and The Daily Caller for a response he gave to a question on Stalin during a university debate: "I have spent many years researching this and similar questions and I have yet to find one crime that Stalin committed."
- Grover Furr. Антисталинская подлость. Moscow: Algorithm. 2007.
- Yuri Mukhin, Grover Furr & Aleksei Golenkov. Оболганный Сталин. Moscow: Eksmo 2010.ISBN 978-5-699-39509-5
- Grover Furr. Тени ХХ съезда, или Антисталинская подлость. Moscow: Eksmo 2010.
- Grover Furr & Vladimir L. Bobrov. 1937. Правосудие Сталина. Обжалованию не подлежит!. Moscow: Eksmo. 2010.
- Grover Furr. Khrushchev Lied. The Evidence That Every “Revelation” of Stalin’s (and Beria’s) Crimes in Nikita Khrushchev’s Infamous “Secret Speech” to the 20th Party Congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union on February 25, 1956, is Provably False. Kettering, OH: Erythros Press & Media. 2011.
- Grover Furr. Hruşçov’un Yalanları.SBKB(B) XX. Kongresinde Yapılan Suçlamalar Hakkında. Istanbul: Yordamkitap, 2011
- David Holloway, Donald Rayfield & Grover Furr. Берия. Империя ГУЛАГ. Moscow: Algorithm. 2012.
- Grover Furr. Stalin ve Demokrasi - Trotskiy ve Naziler. Istanbul: Yazilama, 2012.
- Grover Furr. As Mentiras de Khrushchev. Galiza [Galicia], Spain: Edicions Benigno Alvarez. 2013
- Grover Furr. The Murder of Sergei Kirov: History, Scholarship and the Anti-Stalin Paradigm. Kettering, OH: Erythros Press & Media. 2013.
- Grover Furr. Убийство Кирова. Новое расследование. Moscow: Russkaia Panorama, 2013.
- Grover Furr. BLOOD LIES: The Evidence that Every Accusation against Joseph Stalin and the Soviet Union in Timothy Snyder’s Bloodlands Is False. Plus: What Really Happened in: the Famine of 1932-33; the “Polish Operation”; the “Great Terror”; the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact; the “Soviet invasion of Poland”; the“Katyn Massacre”; the Warsaw Uprising; and “Stalin’s Anti-Semitism”. New York: Red Star Publishers, 2014.
- Grover Furr. Khrouchtchev a Menti. Paris: Editions Delga, 2014.
- Grover Furr. Chruschtschows Lügen. Eulenspiegel Verlagsgruppe - Das Neue Berlin, Berlin 2014.
- 苏共二十大。“秘密报告” 与 赫鲁晓夫的谎言 (Su-Gong Ershi Da: "Mimi Baogao" yu Heluxiaofu de huangyan). English: The Twentieth Congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union: The "Secret Speech" and Khrushchev's Lies. Beijing: Social Sciences Academic Press, January 2015.
- Grover Furr, Kruschev Mintió. Vadell Hermanos Editores, Caracas, Venezuela: 2015.
- Grover Furr. Оболганный сталинизм. Клевета XX съезда. Moscow: Algorithm. 2015.
- Grover Furr. Trotsky’s “Amalgams.” Trotsky's Lies, The Moscow Trials As Evidence, The Dewey Commission. (Trotsky's Conspiracies of the 1930s, Volume One). Kettering OH: Erythros Press & Media LLC, 2015.
- Grover Furr. Le Massacre de Katyn. Une réfutation de la version « officielle »? Paris: Editions Delga. 2015.
- Grover Furr. Les amalgames de Trotsky. les mensonges de Trotsky, les procès de Moscou par les preuves, la Commission Dewey, les conspirations trotskystes des années trente. Editions Delga: Paris, 2016.
- Grover Furr (குரோவர் ஃபர்). ஸ்டாலின் பற்றிய குருச்சேவின் பொய்கள் / Sṭāliṉ paṟṟiya kuruccēviṉ poykaḷ [Tamil translation of Khrushchev Lied]. Tamilnadu, India : Ponnulagam Pathipagam, 2016.
- "France vs. Italy: French Literary Nationalism in 'Petrarch's Last Controversy' And A Humanist Dispute of ca. 1395." Proceedings of the Patristic, Medieval and Renaissance Conference, Villanova University, 1981, Vol. 4.
- Review of Thomas G. Butson, The Tsar's Lieutenant: The Soviet Marshal. New York: Praeger, 1984. In The Russian Review, Vol. 44, No. 4 (1986), pp. 427–8.
- "New Light On Old Stories About Marshal Tukhachevskii: Some Documents Reconsidered." Russian History 13, Nos 2-3 (Summer-Fall 1986), 293-308.
- “Stalin and the Struggle for Democratic Reform, Part One.” Cultural Logic 8, 2005 (Published April 2005).
- “Stalin and the Struggle for Democratic Reform, Part Two.” Cultural Logic 8, 2005 (Published December 2005).
- “(Un)critical Reading and the Discourse of Anti-communism.” The Red Critique 11, Spring 2006.
- Grover Furr and Vladimir Bobrov, “Pervye priznatel'nye pokazaniia N.I. Bukharina na Lubianke.” Klio (St Petersburg, Russia) No. 1 (36) 2007, pp. 38–44.
- Grover Furr and Vladimir Bobrov, eds. “Lichnye pokazaniia N. Bukharina.” Klio (St. Petersburg, Russia), No. 1 (36) 2007, pp. 45–52.
- “Anatomy of an Anticommunist Fabrication: The Death of Oliver Law, An Historiographical Investigation.” Reconstruction 8.1 (May, 2008).
- Grover Furr and Vladimir Bobrov. "Nikolai Bukharin's First Statement of Confession in the Lubianka." Cultural Logic 2007.
- Grover Furr and Vladimir Bobrov. “’Predsmertnoe pis’mo Bukharina’ – eshche odna antistalinskaia fal’shivka.” (Bukharin’s “letter at his death” – yet another anti-Stalin fabrication.” Aktual’naia istoriia (Contemporary History) February 2009.
- “Did the Soviet Union Invade Poland in September 1939? (The answer: No, it did not.).” Cyrano’s Journal September 1, 2009.
- “Baberowski’s Falsification.” Cyrano’s Journal. January 11, 2010.
- “Evidence of Leon Trotsky's Collaboration with Germany and Japan.” Cultural Logic 2009 (actual publication: April 3, 2010).
- Grover Furr and Vladimir L. Bobrov. “Stephen Cohen's Biography of Bukharin: A Study in the Falsehood of Khrushchev-Era 'Revelations' “. Cultural Logic 2010 (publication date: January 1, 2012).
- Grover Furr and Vladimir L. Bobrov, “Marshal S.M. Budiennyi on the Tukhachevsky Trial. Impressions of an Eye-Witness “ (in Russian). Klio (St. Petersburg) No. 2 (2012), pp. 8–24.
- “Learning from the Communist Movement of the 20th Century. A Response to Richard Rubin.“ Platypus Review #45 (April 2012).
- Grover Furr and Vladimir L. Bobrov, “Marshal S.M. Budiennyi on the Tukhachevsky Trial. Impressions of an Eye-Witness “ (in Russian) “, Klio (see below) is reprinted in the book M.N. Tukhachevskii: Kak My Predali Stalina (“M.N. Tukachevsky. How We Betrayed Stalin”), Moscow: Algorithm, September 2012, pages 174-230. ISBN 978-5-4438-0110-0
- The "Official" Version of the Katyn Massacre Disproven? Discoveries at a German Mass Murder Site in Ukraine. Socialism and Democracy 27(2) (August 2013): 96-129.
- "斯大林时代的革命延续." ("The Continuing Revolution in Stalin-era Soviet History.") In 社会主义是人类历史发展的必然. ("Socialism is the inevitable development of human history"). Ed. Li Shenming (李慎明). Beijing: Social Sciences Academic Press, 2015 (ISBN 9787509772997), pp. 461–472.
- "Stalin, etc.," a critical review of recent research on the Stalin period, published in Theory and Struggle 117 (May 2016), journal of the Marx Memorial Library in London U.K.
- Grover C. Furr, The Quarrel of the Roman de la Rose and Fourteenth Century Humanism. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Princeton University, January 1979
- Grover Furr, Khrushchev Lied (Kettering, Ohio: Erythros Press & Media LLC, 2011) Journal of the Research Group on Socialism and Democracy, 2013
- “苏联时期相关重大历史事件”国际学术报告会在京举行 "Major historical events related to the Soviet Period" International Academic Report Meeting Held in Beijing
- Sergei Semanov. "Khrushchev i Ego 'Bor'ba s Kul'tom' v Svete Istiny". Russkii Vestnik. March 13, 2008.
- Haynes, John Earl & Harvey Klehr. In Denial: Historians, Communism and Espionage. San Francisco: Encounter Books. 2003. pp. 26-27.
- Russia Denies Stalin’s Killer Famine by Cathy Young
- US Historian: Stalin Not Guilty of Major War Crime Blamed on Him (Katyn)
- "Russian parliament condemns Stalin for Katyn massacre". BBC News. 26 November 2010. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- Horowitz, David. The Professors: The 101 Most Dangerous Academics in America. Washington, DC: Regnery Publishing, Inc. 2006. pp. 186-189.
- "Professor Grover Furr Praises Stalin, Claims He Never Committed ‘One Crime’"
- "Professor defends Stalin, socialism at student-organized debate"