Born: October 10, 1940|
Died: May 21, 1985 (aged 44)|
Raleigh, North Carolina
|July 13, 1963, for the New York Mets|
|Last MLB appearance|
|September 29, 1963, for the New York Mets|
|Earned run average||2.72|
Grover David Powell (October 10, 1940 – May 21, 1985) was an American professional baseball player, a pitcher who appeared in 20 Major League games for the New York Mets in 1963. Born in Sayre, Pennsylvania, he threw and batted left-handed, stood 5 feet 10 inches (1.78 m) tall and weighed 170 pounds (77 kg).
Major League career
The Mets signed Powell out of the University of Pennsylvania before their first season in 1962. Powell had actually been asked to leave the university baseball team and had not played with them since his sophomore year.
After one full year in the minor leagues and part of a second, the Mets called Powell up in July 1963. After making nine appearances in relief, he received an opportunity to start on August 20. Powell responded by throwing a complete game shutout against the Philadelphia Phillies, allowing four hits. It would turn out to be his only Major League win. In his next start, Powell pitched four more shutout innings before being forced from the game after he was hit in the cheek by a line drive. He made two more starts that season, and appeared in seven games in relief, being charged with one loss.
After the majors
Powell did not pitch again in the Majors after 1963. In his 20 big-league appearances, four as a starting pitcher, he split two decisions. In 492⁄3 innings pitched, he struck out 39, allowed 37 hits and 32 bases on balls.
He continued to pitch in the minor leagues through 1970. Having left school to pitch for the Mets, he returned to the University of Pennsylvania to complete his degree in 1966. In 1985, while visiting his son in the hospital, Powell was diagnosed with leukemia. He died later that year.
- "Grover Powell Statistics and History". baseball-reference.com. Retrieved 2011-1-4.
- Grover Powell at Ivy50.com. Retrieved 2013-7-03.
- Grover Powell 1963 Pitching Gamelog baseball-reference.com. Retrieved 2013-7-03.
- Roof Falls In, And Bucs Win. UPI, August 27th, 1963, from the Beaver County Times. Retrieved 2013-7-03.
- Grover Powell, New York Mets pitcher by Jeanne Leong, the Penn Current, May 5th, 2011. Retrieved 2013-7-03.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Venezuelan Professional Baseball League
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball pitcher born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|