Growth factor receptor inhibitor
Growth factor receptor inhibitors (growth factor inhibitors, growth factor receptor blockers, growth factor blockers, growth factor receptor antagonists, growth factor antagonists) are drugs that target the growth factor receptors of cells. They interfere with binding of the growth factor to the corresponding growth factor receptors, impeding cell growth and are used medically to treat cancer.
Drugs of this type include those that target the epidermal growth factor receptors of epidermal cells (EGFR inhibitors) and those that target vascular endothelial growth factor receptors (VEGFR inhibitors).
Growth factor receptor inhibitors in cancer treatment and research
- Cancer growth blockers, Cancer Research UK
- Status of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Antagonists in the Biology and Treatment of Cancer, Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- Kris, Mark G. (2003). "Efficacy of Gefitinib, an Inhibitor of the Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Tyrosine Kinase, in Symptomatic Patients With Non–Small Cell Lung Cancer:A Randomized Trial". JAMA. 290 (16): 2149–58. ISSN 0098-7484. PMID 14570950. doi:10.1001/jama.290.16.2149.
- Strumberg, D. (2004). "Phase I Clinical and Pharmacokinetic Study of the Novel Raf Kinase and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Receptor Inhibitor BAY 43-9006 in Patients With Advanced Refractory Solid Tumors". Journal of Clinical Oncology. 23 (5): 965–972. ISSN 0732-183X. doi:10.1200/JCO.2005.06.124.
- Blagosklonny, Mikhail; Pardee (June 1, 2001). "Exploiting Cancer Cell Cycling for Selective Protection of Normal Cells". Cancer Research. 61: 4310.
- Fry, D.; Kraker, A.; McMichael, A; Ambroso, L.; Nelson, J.; Leopold, W.; Connors, R.; Bridges, A. (1994). "A specific inhibitor of the epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase". Science. 265 (5175): 1093–1095. ISSN 0036-8075. doi:10.1126/science.8066447.
- EGFR inhibitors at the Drugs.com website.
- HER2 inhibitors at the Drugs.com website.
- VEGF/VEGFR inhibitors at the Drugs.com website.
- Cancer growth blockers at the Cancer Research UK website.
- Status of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Antagonists in the Biology and Treatment of Cancer at the Journal of Clinical Oncology website.
- Exploiting Cancer Cell Cycling for Selective Protection of Normal Cells at the Cancer Research (Journal) website.