Grub, Appenzell Ausserrhoden
|• Total||4.22 km2 (1.63 sq mi)|
|Elevation||813 m (2,667 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2015)|
|• Density||240/km2 (620/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Eggersriet (SG), Heiden, Rehetobel|
Grub is first mentioned in 1488 as uss der Gruob.
Grub has an area, as of 2006[update], of 4.2 km2 (1.6 sq mi). Of this area, 53.9% is used for agricultural purposes, while 33.1% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 12.8% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (0.2%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The municipality is located in the former District of Vorderland. It consists of the village of Grub and scattered hamlets and individual farm houses. The protestant municipality of Grub AR is separated by a creek from the Catholic Grub SG (now part of the municipality of Eggersriet) in the canton of St. Gallen.
Grub has a population (as of 2008[update]) of 1,014, of which about 9.3% are foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -1.8%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (94.4%), with Spanish being second most common ( 1.0%) and Italian being third ( 0.5%).
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 48.9% male and 51.1% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Grub is; 90 people or 8.7% of the population are between 0–6 years old. 163 people or 15.7% are 6-15, and 50 people or 4.8% are 16-19. Of the adult population, 44 people or 4.2% of the population are between 20–24 years old. 283 people or 27.3% are 25-44, and 255 people or 24.6% are 45-64. The senior population distribution is 112 people or 10.8% of the population are between 65–79 years old, and 41 people or 3.9% are over 80.
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Grub about 73.8% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Grub has an unemployment rate of 1.54%. As of 2005[update], there were 48 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 19 businesses involved in this sector. 85 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 15 businesses in this sector. 138 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 30 businesses in this sector.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 30 August 2016
- Grub in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2016-01-05 at the Wayback Machine. accessed 15-Sep-2009
- Brief Statistics for the half-canton (in German) accessed 15 September 2009
- Appenzell Outer Rhodes website Archived 2009-09-13 at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 15 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grub AR.|
- Official Page (German)