|Founded||April 12, 1920|
|Carlos Ignacio Gallego, (Chairman & CEO)|
|Revenue||US$ 3.1 billion (2020)|
|US$ 956.2 million (2012)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Grupo Empresarial Antioqueño|
|Subsidiaries||Compañía Nacional de Chocolates|
Oriental Coffee Alliance (Malaysia)
Meals de Colombia
Setas de Colombia
Grupo Nutresa (in english: Nutresa Group), formerly Grupo Nacional de Chocolates S.A.(in english: Chocolate National Group S.A.) is a food-processing conglomerate headquartered in Medellín, Colombia.
The group's principal activities are producing, distributing, and selling cold cuts, biscuits, chocolates, coffee, ice cream and pasta. The company markets its products under approximately 70 different brands in 65 countries. Other activities include the investment or application of resources or cash under whatever form authorized by law and the exploration of the metal-mechanic and packaging industry.
In 2004, the group began their international expansion, acquiring several companies in Central America and the Caribbean. As of 2008, the Compañía Nacional de Chocolates continues expanding and consolidating its presence in the region. The market value of the company grew by a factor of 25 in the decade leading up to 2010 (to US$6 billion). Though originally a chocolatier, the sale of chocolates contributed only 19% to sales in 2010.
Formation of the group
In 1896, Fábrica de Galletas y Confites—a company making biscuits (cookies and crackers) and confectionery—was set up in Medellin, Colombia. In 1925, the company changed its name to Fábrica de Galletas Noel S.A. and again in 1999 to Compañía de Galletas Noel S.A. In 1920, a chocolate-processing company under the name of Compañía Nacional de Chocolates Cruz Roja was founded and later changed its name to Compañía Nacional de Chocolates, S.A. In 1933 this chocolate company bought an interest in the biscuit company paving the way for the formation of the conglomerate. From 1933 to 1958, the group continued to consolidate its distribution network resulting in strengthened national presence and corporate image.
In the business of coffee
In 1933 the "Sello Rojo" (Red Label) brand was created when the company entered the coffee business. In 1950, with the boom of the coffee industry, Compañía Colombiana de Café S.A.- Colcafé, was created and soon become an important Colombian export company. The first export of any company of the group was in 1961—coffee to Japan.
In 1993, the confectionery company, Compañía Dulces de Colombia S.A. was set up. In 1995, the organization’s trading companies were established abroad forming what is known today as the Cordialsa network, first in Ecuador and second in Venezuela. The company also made its first investment abroad and expanded its meat-processing business with Industrias Alimenticias Hermo de Venezuela S.A. In 1999, the organization spun off two of its companies, Noel and Zenú.
In 2003, the holding company Inversiones Nacional de Chocolates S.A. came into being, with important interests in chocolate and coffee businesses as well as the organization’s food investment company Inveralimenticias (which has holdings in the meat, cookie and confectionery business). In 2004, the organization began expanding into Central America and the Caribbean through the purchase of Nestle’s cookie and chocolate plants in Costa Rica. In 2006, the organization changed its name to Grupo Nacional de Chocolates S.A. On 1 February 2007, Grupo Nacional de Chocolates purchased Peruvian company Good Foods S.A. and the Winter's brand for US$36 million through its Peruvian subsidiary Compañía Nacional de Chocolates de Perú S.A..
On 31 March 2011 the company changed its name to Grupo Nutresa in a move made to emphasize the diversity of its products that now includes pasta and cold cuts.
- Compañía Nacional de Chocolates de Perú S.A. – a Peruvian subsidiary of Grupo Nutresa S.A.
- "Grupo Nacional de Chocolates S.A. going forward, will be Grupo Nutresa S.A. | Grupo Nutresa". 31 March 2011. Archived from the original on 25 March 2012. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Grupo Nutresa | About". www.gruponutresa.com. Archived from the original on 13 October 2014. Retrieved 15 September 2013. Retrieved 2011.
- "Grupo Nacional de Chocolates S.A. going forward, will be Grupo Nutresa S.A. | Grupo Chocolates". www.grupochocolates.com. Archived from the original on 29 June 2013. Retrieved 15 September 2013. Retrieved 2011.
- "Businessweek.com | Stocks Snapshot – NUTRESA". investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2011.
- "Grupo Nutresa – Chocolates". Archived from the original on 25 March 2012. Retrieved 6 June 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Cardona Martínez, Uriel, Grupo Chocolates Compro a Good Foods en Peru (in Spanish), retrieved 25 January 2011 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)