Grzymisława of Luck
|Grzymislawa of Luck|
Grzymisława and her son
|High Duchess consort of Poland|
|Died||circa 8 November 1258|
|Spouse||Leszek ("the White")|
|Issue||Salomea of Poland
Helena, Princess of Bielsk
Bolesław V ("the Chaste")
|House||House of Piast|
|Father||Ingvar of Kiev|
Grzymisława Ingvarevna of Luck (born probably between 1185 and 1195 died probably 8 November 1258) was a Princess of Krakow, daughter of Ingvar of Kiev, Grand Prince of Kiev and Prince of Lutsk from the Rurikid Dynasty.
In 1207, Grzymisława married Leszek ("the White"), Prince of Krakow. This marriage was part of Leszek's avowed policy of eastward expansion. After the assassination of her husband (24 November 1227), she became regent on behalf of her minor son Bolesław V ("the Chaste"). After becoming independent Boleslaw still exerted considerable influence from his mother on his government. Grzymislawa was closely linked with the Monastery of the Franciscans in Zawichost where she became benefactress. She died between 14 June and 24 December 1258 (it is possible that she died on 8 November). She was probably buried in the Franciscan monastery in Zawichoście.
There are also different views on Grzymisława's origins with some historians positing that Leszek ("the White") married or became engaged in 1207 or 1208 to the daughter Ingwar, whose name is unknown. Later, between 1208 and 1211, he married Grzymisława, perhaps the daughter of Yaroslav of Kiev.
Grzymisława and Leszek had three children:
- Salomea (1211/1212 – 1268), married Coloman of Lodomeria; later beatified by Pope Clement X.
- Helena (d. 1265), married Vasilko Romanovich
- Bolesław V the Chaste (21 June 1226 O.S. – 7 December 1279 O.S.), succeeded his father
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Jasinski, K., Rodowód Piastów małopolskich i kujawskich (en. Pedigree Little Poland and Kuyavian Piast), Poznań - Wrocław 2001.
- K. Jasinski, Rodowód Piastów małopolskich i kujawskich, Poznań - Wrocław 2001, p. 28
- K. Jasinski cit., pp. 28-29. She died between 14 June and 24 December 1258
- Cawley, Charles, Russia Rurikid, Medieval Lands, Medieval Lands database, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy,[self-published source][better source needed]
- K. Jasinski cit., page 29
Date of 8 November shown on niewspółczesnym, niezachowanym epitaph, still appearing in 1688 in the Franciscan church in Zawichoście.
- D. Dabrowski, Two of Leszek the White Ruthenian marriage. Card with the history of Rus' and Galicia-Vladimir Rus-Polish relations in the early thirteenth century"The historical annals, Vol 72, 2006, p. 67-93
- Cawley, Charles, Poland, Medieval Lands, Medieval Lands database, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy,[self-published source][better source needed]
Grzymisława of LuckBorn: 1185–1195 Died: 1258
Lucia of Rügen
|High Duchess consort of Poland
|High Duchess consort of Poland (second time)
Lucia of Rügen