|Type||Private joint venture|
|Owner(s)||GAC Group (50%)
Honda Motor (50%)
Co-owned by Honda Motor and GAC Group, Guangqi Honda operates two plants that, as of 2011, produces Honda-branded models and one car sold under the China-only Everus brand. Its products comprising the Everus S1, Honda Accord, Honda City, Honda Crosstour, Honda Fit, and Honda Odyssey. As of early 2011, some offerings may incorporate Japanese-made parts.
Seeking to replace the losses of the Guangzhou Peugeot Automobile Company for a joint venture with another foreign car-maker, the government of Guangzhou established Guangzhou Honda Automobile Co Ltd with Honda, which beat out a number of rivals for the privilege, in May or July of 1998. By 1999 Guangqi Honda was producing its first model, an American version Accord.
Making a product that the Chinese consumer had familiarity with through high quality imports as well as a pre-existing sales and service network for these cars may have contributed to the early success of Guangqi Honda. A recently failed joint venture between the Guangzhou Government and Peugeot (Guangzhou Peugeot Automobile Company) also helped to prepare the ground.
Beginning in 2009, Guangqi Honda has distributed automobiles by ship—reducing secondary transport distances and transport losses while also being environmentally responsible. The company also uses rail and road transport.
Everus (Li Nian Chinese: 理念), Guangqi Honda's first China-only brand, is targeted at consumers in inland cities like Chaozhou and Lanzhou who can't afford its Honda-branded vehicles but desire the cachet and technological underpinnings foreign-tied brands offer. While it was the first China-only brand for any sino-foreign joint venture other, similar marques do exist such as the Dongfeng/Nissan Venucia.
Customer service award
Guangqi Honda ranked highest in customer satisfaction with authorized dealer after-sales service according to the J.D. Power Asia Pacific 2009 China Customer Service Index Study.
- 2009 Environmental Annual Report, Honda - Report scope Honda Official Site
- "Company Profile". Guangqi Honda Automobile Co., Ltd. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- Guangqi Honda Automobile Co., Ltd. Honda Official Site
- China's Guangqi Honda at 95 pct of 2009 sales target reuters.com, Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:30pm EST
- "Guangqi Honda’s Original Brand Introduces "Li Nian S1"". Honda Motor Co., Ltd. April 18, 2011.
- "AUTOSHOW-Honda: China output to be affected by Japan parts shortage". Reuters. Apr 18, 2011. Retrieved 01/04/2012.
- Guangzhou Honda officially renamed Guangqi Honda gasgoo.com, April 23, 2009
- "Guangqi Honda to Expand Automobile Production Capacity". Honda Motor Co., Ltd. May 25, 2010. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- Global Strategy - By Mike W. Peng Cengage Learning, 2008, ISBN 0324590997, 9780324590999, Page 423
- Honda to Bring Lowest-priced Model to China tradingmarkets.com, 21 Jan 2010 07:07:33 EST
- Juan Antonio Fernandez, Liu Shengjun (2007). China CEO: a case guide for business leaders in China. John Wiley and Sons. p. 91. ISBN 0470822244, 9780470822241 Check
- Environment:FY2009 Initiatives Honda Official Site
- AUTOSHOW-China joint venture brands eye growth in inland cities reuters.com, Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:44am EST
- "New Models from the 2010 Guangzhou Auto Show (2): GAC-Honda Everus S1". ChinaAutoWeb.com.
- J.D. Power Asia Pacific Reports: Guangqi Honda Ranks Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Dealer Service in China jdpower.com, 30 July 2009