From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up guard in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Guard or guards may refer to:
- Bodyguard, who protects an individual from personal assault
- Crossing guard, who stops traffic so pedestrians can cross the street
- Lifeguard, who rescues people from drowning
- Prison guard, who supervises prisoners in a prison or jail
- Security guard, who protects property, assets, or people
- Conductor (transportation) § Train guard, in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and India
Governmental and military
- Police in medieval contexts
- Border guard, a state security agency.
- Coast guard, responsible for coastal defence and offshore rescue
- Honor Guard, primarily ceremonial.
- National Guard (disambiguation), primarily domestic defense units which have military or law enforcement missions
- Guards unit, a title earned by distinguished units in the former Soviet Union and in some contemporary ex-Soviet states
- Color guard, a detachment of soldiers assigned to the protection of regimental colors.
- Guard (American and Canadian football), a player between the center and the tackles on the offensive line of a team
- Guard (grappling), a position in martial arts in which the person lies on the back, is confronted by the opponent aligned on top facing him/her, but has his/her legs entangling the opponent for control
- Basketball positions:
- Color guard (flag spinning), people who toss flags, spin a rifle and a saber at performances with a marching band.
- Winterguard, people who spin and toss flags, rifles, and/or sabers at indoor performances on a tarp. Competing in either Winterguard compensation or WGI compensation.
- Guard (surname)
- Guard (computer science), in programming language, an expression that directs program execution
- Guard (information security), a device for controlling communication between computer networks
- Guard (weapon), part of the handle of a sword designed to stop the user's hand from slipping onto the blade
- Guard dog, employed to watch for unwanted or unexpected animals or people
- Guard interval, intervals in transmission, used in telecommunications
- Abdominal guarding, in medicine, the tensing of the abdominal wall muscles to guard inflamed organs
- Mate guarding—guarding of a potential or former mate from other individuals
- A safety barrier to prevent people from falling into hazards such as into a fire or off a raised walking surface
- The aircraft emergency frequency, commonly referred to as "guard"
- Shomera, a moshav in Israel whose name translates as Guard
- All pages beginning with "Guard"
- All pages with titles containing Guard
- Civic Guard (disambiguation)
- Civil Guard (disambiguation)
- The Guard (disambiguation)
- Guardian (disambiguation)
- Guardia (disambiguation)
- La Guardia (disambiguation)
- Guarda (disambiguation)
- Sentry (disambiguation)
- Sentinel (disambiguation)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Guard.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.