Guardians (card game)
The card back to Guardians CCG
|Designer(s)||Keith Parkinson and Luke Peterschmidt|
|Publisher(s)||Friedlander Publishing Group|
|Playing time||Approx 45 min|
|Skill(s) required||Card playing|
Guardians is an out-of-print collectible card game created by Keith Parkinson and Luke Peterschmidt, published by Friedlander Publishing Group (FPG) in 1995. In it, two players build armies led by powerful leaders called Guardians. Unlike many CCGs, there is a 4x3 "map" where armies maneuver; each player has strongholds on their "row", and the middle two rows are disputed. There are three potential victory conditions: a player can either defeat the enemy Guardian, conquer all 6 "disputed territories" in the middle two rows, or exhaust their opponent by depleting their armies ("shields").
Guardians was marketed rather crudely, emphasizing scantily-clad women in cards and sex appeal. For example, there was a card called "Super Model" which "Destroys any creature which can be bribed by Babes", and an article/advertisement in Inquest written by designer Luke Peterschmidt featured a caption saying "Six of the... uh, three of the best things about Guardians" next to artwork of three large-chested women in little clothing.
The game was reported to have a strong following in Philadelphia, Ohio, England and France. Peterschmidt mentioned that a "secondary game" (in relation to Magic: the Gathering) needs at least "three cities" to make money publishing a trading card game and these large areas could "support a lower-end game without a lot of overhead."
Guardians was most renowned for the quality of its artwork. Artists include:
- Keith Parkinson
- Mike Ploog
- Don Maitz
- James Warhola
- Den Beauvais
- Darrell K. Sweet
- Larry Elmore
- Ken Kelly
- Chris Achilleos
- Timothy Bradstreet
- Richard Hescox
- Mark Poole
- Rowena Morrill
- Wilson Keith Elmore.
Expansion set list
- Miller, John Jackson (2003), Scrye Collectible Card Game Checklist & Price Guide, Second Edition, pp. 211–214.
- Peterschmidt, Luke (May 1996). "Basic Training: Simple Strategies and Deck Designs for Beginners". Inquest. p. 59–62. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- Inquest May 1996, p. 71.
- Varney, Allen (September 1996), "Inside the Industry - Reports on Trading Card Games", The Duelist (#12), p. 73
- Varney, Allen (May 1996), "Reports on Trading Card Games", The Duelist (#10), p. 8
- Chez Phil, Fan de Guardians - Set information and ruling summaries, card database, background information on cards and other collectible items, storyline information, Seven Seas: an unofficial set cards...
- Guardians at BoardGameGeek
- Guardians CCG - A blog detailing Guardians Solo Adventures, which is a single-player adventure-type rules variant, and including new user-generated cards specifically made for this variant.
- C. J. Burke's Guardians page - Guardians rules and trivia
|This collectible card game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|