Guardians of Middle-earth
|Guardians of Middle-earth|
Zombie Studios (PC)
|Publisher(s)||Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment|
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows|
|Release||PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
|Genre(s)||Multiplayer online battle arena|
Guardians of Middle-earth is a multiplayer online battle arena video game developed by Monolith Productions and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The setting of the game is Middle-earth, derived from The Lord of the Rings series, with various tie-ins to the film series of the same name. Guardians of Middle-earth was released for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles on December 4, 2012, via the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade respectively. A retail package is also released, which includes a download voucher for the game as well as a "Season Pass" for future downloadable content. It is no longer available on the PlayStation Network and the servers are down as well.
The game was later released for Microsoft Windows on August 29, 2013.
Guardians of Middle-earth incorporates the standard elements of a typical multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game, with a strong emphasis upon team coordination. Up to ten players may split into two teams of five and from a pool of thirty-six guardians from The Lord of the Rings franchise, including Gandalf, Sauron and Radagast, and coordinate to win matches by destroying the opposing team's base. Unlike most other MOBA titles, Guardians of Middle-earth emphasizes home console, rather than desktop, gameplay, in order to gain a "cinematic" experience.
Guardians of Middle-earth received mixed reviews. It scored a 7.5/10 from IGN. Many users have problems with the games interfacing on PC, as well as numerous glitches in connectivity.
- Cork, Jeff (2012-05-30). "Warner Announces Guardians Of Middle-Earth". Game Informer.
- Scalzo, John (2012-10-09). "Guardians of Middle-Earth coming to PSN, XBLA on December 4". Warp Zoned.
- "Guardians of Middle-Earth – Here comes Radagast the Brown!". EIR Games. 2013-01-30.
- Onyett, Charles (2012-05-30). "Lord of the Rings Meets DotA". IGN.
- Funk, John (2012-05-30). "Lord of the Rings DOTA Clone Coming to XBLA and PSN". Escapist Magazine.
- "Guardians of Middle-earth for PC". GameRankings. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "Guardians of Middle-earth for X360". GameRankings. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "Guardians of Middle-earth for PS3". GameRankings. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "Guardians of Middle-earth for PC". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "Guardians of Middle-earth for X360". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "Guardians of Middle-earth for PS3". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
|This online game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|