loco at Gudivada Train station
|• Total||12.67 km2 (4.89 sq mi)|
|• Density||9,300/km2 (24,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Gudivada is a city in Krishna district of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is a municipality and the headquarters of Gudivada mandal in Gudivada revenue division. It is one of the cities in the state to be a part of Andhra Pradesh Capital Region.
The name Gudivada was derived from Gudi meaning Temple and Vada means Settlement or town in Telugu language. The presence of Habitation at this town may be dated back to 3rd Century BCE or 2nd Century BCE since the time of Sathavahanas as per some inscriptions. Archaeological excavations conducted at Gudivada yielded an ancient Buddhist Stupa Mound and Jain relics. Gudivada is religiously diversified small town with many Hindu Temples and important Jain Tirth of Bhagawan Parshvanath located at market road.
Gudivada falls in the hot humid region of the country and it is less than 35 miles from Bay of Bengal. The climate of the town is very hot and it is pleasant during the winter. The hottest day falls in the month of May with shift to June during some years. The maximum temperature observed is 50.3C and the minimum temperature observed is 09.80C.
As of 2011[update] census of India, Gudivada had a population of 118,167 with 30,834 households. The total population constitute 59,062 males, 59,105 females and 10,509 in the age group of 0–6 years. It had an average literacy rate of 81.64% with 87,887 literates.
Gudivada municipality is the civic administrative body of the city. It is a special grade municipality, spread over an of 12.67 km2 (4.89 sq mi).
Vijayawada Airport is the nearest airport. It is about 36 km from Gudivada.
NTR Stadium is the main sports venue in Gudivada. The stadium is considered second best multi-purpose stadiums in the state after Indira Gandhi Municipal Stadium in Vijaywada. It is used for several sports, like athletics, volleyball, cricket practice, kho kho, kabaddi, badminton, tennis and basketball.
- "Andhra Pradesh Municipal Development Project" (PDF). Municipal Development Project. Government of Andhra Pradesh. p. 19. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "District Census Handbook - Krishna" (PDF). Census of India. p. 16–17,48. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Krishna District Mandals" (PDF). Census of India. pp. 504,528–529. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Declaration of A.P. Capital Region" (PDF). Andhra Nation. Municipal Administration and Urban Development Department. 22 September 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- British Museum Collection
- Spectrum, Digital (2008-06-05). "Gudivada: Gudivada History". Livegudivada.blogspot.in. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Archaeological Survey of India". Asihyd.ap.nic.in. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Shri Gudivada Tirth - Jain Temples in Rest of India". www.Jinalaya.com. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "National Highways in A.P". AP Online Portal. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Divisional info" (PDF). Indian Railways. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "NTR Stadium all set to become more sporty". The Hindu.