Gudrun Zapf-von Hesse
Von Hesse served a book-binding apprenticeship with Otto Dorfner, finishing with a Master’s Diploma in 1940. She pursued an independent course of studies on calligraphy and letterforms, concentrating on the work of Rudolf Koch and Edward Johnston. After World War II, she opened her own book bindery, and learned punchcutting at the Bauer type foundry in Frankfurt.
From 1946 to 1954, Von Hesse taught lettering at the Städelschule in Frankfurt. After attracting notice at an exhibition of calligraphy, she was commissioned by the Stempel foundry in Frankfurt to design typefaces, and went on to a successful career as a typographer with Stempel. "In my opinion," she later said, " the best foundation for creating new alphabets is an intensive study of calligraphy." She married Herman Zapf, Stempel's art director and prolific typeface designer, on August 1, 1951, and the two managed thereafter to keep their professional work somewhat separate.
In 1991, Hesse was the second woman to receive the prestigious Frederic W. Goudy award, given by the Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York. In 2001, she was recognized with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Friends of Calligraphy. She turned 100 in January 2018.
In 2018, Monotype released the titling typeface Hesse-Antiqua to mark her hundredth birthday. Digitised by Ferdinand Ulrich, it is based on an alphabet for book jackets she designed in the late 1940s.
- Alcuin (URW Hamburg)
- Ariadne (Stempel)
- Carmina (Bitstream)
- Christiana (Berthold)
- Columbine (URW Hamburg)
- Diotima (Stempel)
- Hesse-Antiqua (2018, Monotype, with Ferdinand Ulrich)
- Nofret (Berthold)
- Shakespeare (Hallmark)
- Smaragd (Stempel)
- Zapf von Hesse, Gudrun; Taylor-Batty, Mark (2002-01-01). Gudrun Zapf von Hesse: bindings, handwritten books, type faces, examples of lettering and drawings. West New York, NJ: Mark Batty, publisher. ISBN 0-9715687-0-7.
- Aaris Sherin. "Hesse, Gudrun Zapf von." Grove Art Online. Oxford Art Online. Oxford University Press, accessed March 8, 2016, http://www.oxfordartonline.com/subscriber/article/grove/art/T2021723.
- Zapf, Hermann; Zapf von Hesse, Gudrun; Prestianni, John; Friends of Calligraphy (San Francisco) (2001-01-01). "Bookbinding, Calligraphy and Type Design: Remarks and Musings About My Design Process (excerpted from Goudy award acceptance address by Gudrun Zapf-von Hesse)". Calligraphic type design in the digital age: an exhibition in honor of the contributions of Hermann and Gudrun Zapf : selected type designs and calligraphy by sixteen designers. Corte Madera, CA: Gingko Press. pp. 31–35. ISBN 1-58423-096-7.
- Ulrich, Ferdinand. "Hesse Antiqua – Typeface release at 100". Fontshop Blog. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- MyFonts: Gudrun Zapf von Hesse
- Font Designer – Gudrun Zapf-von Hesse
- Personal Designer Portrait – Gudrun Zapf-von Hesse
- Typophile: Gudrun Zapf von Hesse
- Birthdate Reference
- Exhibition honoring Gudrun Zapf-Von Hesse and Herman Zapf
- Bio of Gudrun Zapf-Von Hesse by Ferdinand Ulrich, published on her 100th birthday