This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gui-Qiang G. Chen
Gui-Qiang George Chen
|Born||25 May 1963|
|Alma mater||Fudan University|
Chinese Academy of Sciences
|Awards||SIAG/ APDE Prize (2011)|
Chinese National Natural Science Prize (1989)
|Fields||Nonlinear Analysis, Partial Differential Equations|
|Institutions||University of Oxford|
Gui-Qiang George Chen (Chinese: 陈贵强, Pinyin: Chen Gui Qiang; born 25 May 1963) is a Chinese-born American mathematician. Currently, he is Statutory Professor in the Analysis of Partial Differential Equations and director of the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Partial Differential Equations at the Mathematical Institute, and professorial fellow at Keble College, located at the University of Oxford, as well as Life Member of Clare Hall, University of Cambridge.
Born in 1963 in Cixi City, Ningbo, Zhejiang Province, he obtained his B.Sc. in 1982 at Fudan University (Shanghai) and received his Ph.D. in 1987 at the Chinese Academy of Sciences (Beijing), then moved to the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University, as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow (1987–89) . He also received a M.A in 2011 from the University of Oxford.
His main research areas lie in nonlinear partial differential equations, nonlinear analysis, and their applications/connections to mechanics, geometry, other areas of mathematics and the sciences. His recent research interests include nonlinear conservation laws, nonlinear waves, nonlinear equations of mixed type, free boundary problems, and geometric problems. His research interests also include measure-theoretical analysis, weak convergence methods, stochastic partial differential equations, statistical physics, and numerical analysis. He has published more than 150 original research papers and more than 10 research books and book chapters.
He is currently Statutory Professor in the Analysis of Partial Differential Equations at the Mathematical Institute and professorial fellow of Keble College, University of Oxford. Before these, he was full professor of mathematics at Northwestern University 1996–2009 and tenured associated professor of mathematics there 1994–96, and assistant professor and adjunct professor of mathematics at the University of Chicago 1989–96. He is also an adjunct professor of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, a distinguished advisory professor of Shanghai Jiaotong University, and a Changjiang Distinguished Professor of Fudan University and the Ministry of Education of China.
He now serves on the Royal Society Newton International Fellowship Board (2013–15). He was co-chair of the Theme Programme on Free Boundary Problems and Related Topics, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences (2014); chair (2009–10) and program director (2005–06) of Activity Group on Analysis of Partial Differential Equations, Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, USA; chair of the Organizing Committee, SIAM Conference on Analysis of Partial Differential Equations (2006); a member of the AMS-MAA Program Committee for the Joint Annual National Meetings (2008), American Mathematical Society Scientific Committee for the Joint International Meeting with Shanghai Mathematical Society (2008), AMS Program Committee for the Annual Meeting (2009), and Committee for National Meetings of American Mathematical Society (2007–10); Panelist of National Science Foundation (1999–2011); and a member of Research Council of Norway (2005–09). He has been an organizer/co-organizer or a member of the scientific committees of more than 80 international conferences, workshops, symposia, summer schools, and emphasis years since 1991.
Awards, honors and fellowships
- Fellow of the American Mathematical Society (FAMS), US, 2017. 
- Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (FIMA), UK, January 2014. 
- Life member, Clare Hall, University of Cambridge, UK, July 2014.
- Turner-Kirk Fellow, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge, UK, 2013–14.
- SIAM Fellows (Class of 2012) 
- The 2011 SIAM SIAG/ APDE Prize (SIAM, 2011)
- Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award (2009)
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Fellow (2003)
- Sloan Fellowship (1991)
- Chinese National Natural Science Prize (1989)
- University of Chicago-Argonne Fellowship in Mathematics (1989–90)
- Chinese Academy of Sciences Award in Mathematics (First Prize, 1988)
- Best Paper Award by Beijing Mathematical Society (1988)
- "Homepage of SIAG/ APDE Prize".
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Partial Differential Equations: Analysis and Applications
- "Gui-Qiang G. Chen appointed to Professorship in the Analysis of Partial Differential Equations".
- Free Boundary Problems and Related Topics, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences
- "Gui-Qiang Chen elected fellow of the American Mathematical Society".
- Outreach, Prof. Gui-Qiang Chen
- Turner-Kirk Fellow, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge
- "SIAM Fellows: Class of 2012".
- "Gui-Qiang G. Chen awarded SIAG/APDE Prize".