|Male at Dallas World Aquarium, USA|
Taxonomy and systematics
The Guianan toucanet was originally described as belonging to the genus Pteroglossus. Recently, some discussion was made of the naming of this species. Pacheco & Whitney (2006) suggested the correct scientific name was Selenidera piperivora, but then Walters (2007) noted that this name was pre-occupied. A paper by Piacentini et al. (2010) presented arguments for the use of Selenidera piperivora (Linnaeus 1758) as the correct name for the species and it was renamed as such by the IOC in 2010. Most other authorities have now also adopted this taxonomy.
Distribution and habitat
It is found in north-western Brazil, French Guiana, Guyana, Suriname, and Venezuela. Its natural habitat is tropical humid lowland forests. It is 25 cm (10 in) long and weighs 110-165 grams (3.9-5.8 oz.)
Relationship to humans
The Guianan toucanet is sometimes kept in aviculture as a breeder bird or a pet.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Selenidera culik.|
- Pacheco, J. F. & B. M. Whitney (2006). Mandatory changes for the scientific names of three neotropical birds. Bull. Brit. Orn. Cl. 126(3):242-244.
- Walters, M. (2007). The correct name of the Guianan Toucanet: Selenidera culik (Wagler) not S. piperivorus (Linnaeus). Bull. Brit. Orn. 127: 247-249.
- Piacentini, V.Q., J.F. Pacheco & B. M. Whitney. 2010. The name Ramphastos piperivorus Linnaeus revisited. Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club 130 (2): 141-143.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Selenidera piperivora". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Taxonomy Version 2 « IOC World Bird List". www.worldbirdnames.org. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Selenidera piperivora - Avibase". avibase.bsc-eoc.org. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-08-19. Retrieved 2007-08-19.
- Short, Lester; Horne, Jennifer (2001). Toucans, Barbets and Honeyguides. Bird Families of the World. 8. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-854666-1.
- Summers, Amado. "Toucans and Toucanets". Organization of Professional Aviculturists, Inc. Retrieved 19 May 2010.
- John Gould)/Henry Constantine Richter: A Monograph of the Ramphastidae, or Family of Toucans, London 1854