|Born||12 July 1941|
|Died||30 September 2015 (aged 74)|
|Alma mater||Sapienza University of Rome|
|Known for||Altarelli-Parisi equations|
|Institutions||Sapienza University of Rome|
University of Roma Tre
Altarelli graduated in Physics from the Sapienza University of Rome in 1963 with Raoul Gatto whom he followed to the University of Florence (1965–68). He held positions at New York University (1968–69), the Rockefeller University (New York, 1969–70), the École Normale Superieure in Paris (1976–77, 81) and Boston University (1985–86). In 1970-92 he held a faculty position at the Sapienza University of Rome (full professor of theoretical physics since 1980). He was Director of the Rome Section of the INFN (1985–87). In 1992 he moved to the newly established University of Roma Tre.
In 1987-2006 he was a Senior Staff Physicist at the Theory Division of CERN, and was Theory Division Leader from 2000-04. At CERN he had a leading role in the interpretation of SppS results, in the preparation of LEP and the LHC and in the theoretical analysis of the experimental results.
- Member of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- 2011 Julius Wess Award for Outstanding Achievements in Elementary Particle and Astroparticle Physics - The Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- 2012 J. J. Sakurai Prize for Theoretical Particle Physics - The American Physical Society
- High Energy and Particle Physics Prize - EPS HEPP Prize, 2015.
- "Guido Altarelli (1941 - 2015)". CERN Bulletin (41 & 42, Mon 05 Oct). 2015.
- Forte, Stefano (2019). From my vast repertoire-- : Guido Altarelli's legacy. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. ISBN 978-981-323-804-6. OCLC 1061311069.
- Maiani, Luciano; Parisi, Giorgio (March 2016). "Obituary. Guido Altarelli". Physics Today: 65. doi:10.1063/pt.3.3114.
- "The title of the IFJ PAN Honorary Professor conferred on Guido Altarelli". September 16, 2013. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- G. Altarelli and G. Parisi (1977). "Asymptotic Freedom in Parton Language". Nuclear Physics. B126 (2): 298–318. doi:10.1016/0550-3213(77)90384-4.
- "Morto il fisico Guido Altarelli". ANSA.it (in Italian).
- "Faces and places: Polish institute makes Guido Altarelli honorary professor". CERN Courier. 53 (10): 33. December 2013.
- Schaeffer, Anaïs (February 2012). "I can't wait to find out what Nature has in store for us". CERN Bulletin. 06-07.
|This article about an Italian physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|