|President of the Central Bank of Argentina|
In Commission 
|Assumed office |
25 September 2018
|Preceded by||Luis Caputo|
|Born||11 May 1971|
|Education||University of Buenos Aires|
London School of Economics
Early life and education
Sandleris was born to a middle-class Jewish family in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He holds a doctorate in economics from Columbia University. He taught Economics at Johns Hopkins University and Torcuato di Tella University.
In charge of the Central Bank of Argentina, it implemented a new monetary policy scheme as of October 1, 2018, which included a plan to contract the monetary base based on high rates (around 72% at the beginning of the plan). ) to avoid the flight of pesos to the dollar, which would deepen the recession in which the country is located. In the first month of application of the established "exchange zone" (from $ 34 to $ 44 per dollar), the dollar had fallen 11.83% to 36.98 pesos. By the end of November of the same year, the value of the dollar again reached 40 pesos.
In December 2018, it issued a regulation that makes control of money laundering more flexible, so the Central Bank announced that it will stop demanding money laundering reports of operations suspected of money laundering, and the relaxation of tax evasion controls. and money laundering. This measure was criticized by former Central Bank Director Pedro Biscay who said that "relaxing the system thus facilitates tax evasion and the use of foreign exchange operations to channel money of any crime.
- Inter-American Investment Corporation (IIC), Ex-Officio AlternateMember of the Board of Governors (since 2018)
- International Monetary Fund (IMF), Ex-Officio Alternate Member of the Board of Governors (since 2018)
- World Bank, Ex-Officio Alternate Member of the Board of Governors (since 2018)
- Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), World Bank Group, Ex-Officio Alternate Member of the Board of Governors (since 2018)
- Until the approval of the Senate
- Millan, Carolina; Olivera Doll, Ignacio; Do Rosario, Jorgelina (September 26, 2018). "Soccer-Loving Academic Pushed Into Hot Seat in Argentina". Bloomberg. Retrieved September 27, 2018.
- Mander, Benedict (September 26, 2018). "IMF increases Argentina bailout package to $57bn". Financial Times. Retrieved September 27, 2018.
- Nicolas Misculin (September 25, 2018), Argentina names Sandleris as new central bank chief - statement Reuters.
- Board of Governors Inter-American Investment Corporation (IIC).
- Members International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Board of Governors World Bank.
- Board of Governors Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), World Bank Group.
|This biographical article about an Argentine economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|