Guilford Township, Medina County, Ohio
|Guilford Township, Medina County, Ohio|
Location of Guilford Township in Medina County
|• Total||25.1 sq mi (65.0 km2)|
|• Land||25.1 sq mi (65.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,142 ft (348 m)|
|• Density||217.1/sq mi (83.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086593|
Guilford Township is one of the eighteen townships of Medina County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 5,447 people in the township, 3,181 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Montville Township - north
- Sharon Township - northeast corner
- Wadsworth Township - east
- Milton Township, Wayne County - south
- Canaan Township, Wayne County - southwest corner
- Westfield Township - west
- Lafayette Township - northwest corner
Name and history
It is the only Guilford Township statewide. Derived from Guildford, Surrey a small market town in England.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Medina County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Archived 2016-10-30 at the Wayback Machine. Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.