William II of Provence
|William II of Provence|
William II of Provence (1655 engraving)
|Spouse(s)||Gerberga of Burgundy|
|Noble family||House of Arles|
|Father||William I of Provence|
|Mother||Adelaide-Blanche of Anjou|
William II (or III) (c. 981 – 1018), called the Pious, was the Count of Provence.
William was the son of William I (or II) of Provence and Adelaide-Blanche of Anjou. His regent was his mother. William did not succeed to the margravial title, which went to his uncle Rotbold I. Around 1002, he married Gerberga, daughter of Otto-William, Count of Burgundy and Ermentrude, Countess of Mâcon and Besançon. William died in 1018, about 30 May.
Together William and Gerberga had:
- William IV of Provence († c. 1019–30), who succeeded his father.
- Geoffrey I of Provence († c. Feb. 1061–62), Count of Arles, Margrave of Provence.
- Fulk Bertrand of Provence († c. 27 Apr. 1051), Count of Provence.
- Detlev Schwennicke, Europäische Stammtafeln: Stammtafeln zur Geschichte der Europäischen Staaten, Neue Folge, Band II (Marburg, Germany: Verlag von J. A. Stargardt, 1984), Tafel 187
- Detlev Schwennicke, Europäische Stammtafeln: Stammtafeln zur Geschichte der Europäischen Staaten, Neue Folge, Band II (Marburg, Germany: Verlag von J. A. Stargardt, 1984), Tafeln 59, 187
- Jean-Pierre Poly, La Provence et la société féodale 879–1166 (Paris: Bordas, 1976)