|Full name||Guillermo Varela Olivera|
|Date of birth||24 March 1993|
|Place of birth||Montevideo, Uruguay|
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|2014–2015||→ Real Madrid Castilla (loan)||33||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12 December 2015.
Born in Montevideo, Varela started his career with his home-town club Peñarol and made his senior debut on 5 June 2011, in a 1–0 home defeat against Racing Club de Montevideo on the last matchday of Uruguayan Primera División.
On 7 June, Manchester United announced they had reached an agreement to sign Varela from Peñarol for an undisclosed fee, rumoured to be a €2.8 million. Hence, he became the first player to join Manchester United under new manager David Moyes. On 11 June, he signed a five-year contract.
Loan to Real Madrid Castilla
In September 2014, Varela joined Real Madrid reserve side Real Madrid Castilla for season-long loan. He was, however, included in the 2014–15 UEFA Champions League squad for the first team and he was given the squad number 28. He made 33 appearances and scored once, set up by Martin Ødegaard in a 4–0 win over Barakaldo CF on 21 February 2015 at the Estadio Alfredo Di Stéfano in the season's Segunda División B.
Return to Manchester United
After returning to Manchester United, Varela was included in Manchester United's squad for the group stage of the 2015–16 UEFA Champions League. He made his debut on 5 December 2015 as a half-time substitute for Paddy McNair in a goalless Premier League draw against West Ham United at Old Trafford. Three days later Varela made his first start and Champions League debut in the 2015–16 UEFA Champions League, playing the full 90 minutes in a 3–2 defeat to VfL Wolfsburg.
As of 8 December 2015.
|Real Madrid Castilla (loan)||2014–15||33||1||–||–||–||–||33||1|
- "Barclays Premier League Squad Numbers 2013/14". premierleague.com (Premier League). 16 August 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Varela". realmadrid.com. Real Madrid. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- Marshall, Adam (3 September 2014). "Varela heads to Madrid". ManUtd.com (Manchester United FC). Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "No nos vamos nada" [We are not going anywhere] (in Spanish). Futbol.uy. 5 June 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "The lowdown on Varela". ManUtd.com (Manchester United). 11 June 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Transfer news: Guillermo Varela says he will have a medical at Manchester United". Sky Sports. 7 June 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "David Moyes to make Guillermo Varela his first signing at Manchester United". Express.co.uk. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "United agree Varela deal". ManUtd.com (Manchester United). 7 June 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Coppack, Nick (11 June 2013). "Reds complete Varela deal". ManUtd.com (Manchester United). Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "UEFA Champions League - Real Madrid". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- Colino, Jesús (21 February 2015). "Odegaard regala su primera exhibición y el Castilla disfruta" (in Spanish). Diario AS. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "UEFA Champions League - Manchester United.". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Dudko, James (5 December 2015). "Guillermo Varela Makes Manchester United Debut: Key Details on Right-Back". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- G. Varela; Global Sports Media