Guilty (Richard Whiting, Harry Akst and Gus Kahn song)
|Single by Margaret Whiting and Johnny Desmond|
|Songwriter(s)||Richard A. Whiting, Harry Akst, Gus Kahn|
The song was popularized by Margaret Whiting (Richard Whiting's daughter) and by Johnny Desmond in 1946. The Whiting recording was made on October 9, 1946, and released by Capitol Records (catalog number 324). It reached No. 4 on the Billboard chart. The Desmond recording was made on December 6, 1946, and released by RCA Victor (catalog number 20-2109). It reached No. 12 on the Billboard chart.
An early version was featured on the soundtrack of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's 2001 film, Amélie, a Decca recording made on December 2, 1931 by Al Bowlly, a popular British singer of the thirties, accompanied by Roy Fox and his Orchestra. Al Bowlly also recorded the song on several other occasions.
Other recordings were made by:
- Bing Crosby on November 7, 1931, recorded on radio, for Cremo Cigars
- Ruth Etting on September 1, 1931, originally issued on Columbia 2529-D (Matrix 151761-3). Charted at #4.
- Ella Fitzgerald on January 24, 1947, released by US Decca Records (catalog number 23844)
- The Four Freshmen on their 1955 album 4 Freshmen and 5 Trombones
- Billie Holiday on December 27, 1946, for Decca Records.
- Eve Lombard on April 17, 1947, released by UK Decca Records (catalog number F 8773)
- Tony Martin on August 21, 1946, released by Mercury Records (catalog number 3042) with the flip side "Dreamland Rendezvous"
- David Simard and the Da Da's on October 1, 2011
- The Skyrockets Orchestra Conductor: Paul Fenoulhet Vocal: Doreen Lundy on July 13, 1947, released by EMI on the His Master's Voice label (catalog number BD 5984)
- Mel Tormé and the Mel-Tones on September 10, 1946, released by Musicraft Records (catalog number 428)
- Billy Eckstine on 1961, Broadway, Bongos and Mr. B (studio album. Orch. and arr. by Hal Mooney, Roulette Records)
- "Al Bowlly Discography - 1931". Archived from the original on October 11, 2012. Retrieved 2007-08-19.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Discography Archived 2007-07-19 at the Wayback Machine
- "Billie Holiday - Guilty". Archived from the original on 17 January 2016. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- "Billie Holiday Studio Songs". Archived from the original on 28 May 2010. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- Mercury Records in the 3001 to 3072 range