Guilty (Barbra Streisand album)
|Studio album by Barbra Streisand|
|Released||September 23, 1980|
|Studio||Middle Ear, Miami Beach & Sound Labs Studio in Hollywood, Los Angeles|
|Barbra Streisand chronology|
|Singles from Guilty|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
Guilty is the twenty-second studio album by American singer Barbra Streisand released on September 23, 1980 by Columbia Records. It was produced by Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees and his group's regular production team of Albhy Galuten and Karl Richardson.
After the success of the Bee Gees in the late 1970s, there was some time to write songs for other artists and Streisand, one of those artists, asked Gibb to write an album for her. It became her best-selling album to date internationally, with sales between 15–20 million copies worldwide as well as spawning several hit singles. According to the liner notes of Barbra's retrospective box set: Just for the Record, the album also received a record certification in Austria, Brazil, Denmark, Israel, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain. Sweden, Switzerland, and Russia.
The lead single "Woman in Love" became one of the most successful songs of Streisand's music career and spent a total of three weeks at number one in the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Two other singles were released, which also peaked within the top ten on Billboard Hot 100: the title track, a duet between Streisand and Gibb, won the Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal in 1981, released as a second single for the album, and became an instant hit, peaking at number three, and "What Kind of Fool", another duet with Gibb, reached number ten for three weeks. The fourth single, "Promises", a more disco-oriented track released in May 1981, reached as high as number 48 in both the U.S. and Canada. It was a much bigger Adult Contemporary hit in both nations, reaching number eight and number five, respectively. This song was also released on Streisand's first commercially released 12" single as a solo artist following her 1979 duet with Donna Summer, "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)", and two promotional singles released for "Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over)" in 1975, and "The Main Event/Fight" in 1979.
Streisand released a sequel to this album, Guilty Pleasures, in 2005, also produced and largely written by Gibb. Both albums can also be considered partial-collaboration albums, since Streisand not only did two duets with Gibb, but Gibb could also be heard as a background vocalist in a few other songs solely by the artist herself, along with the fact that both singers were on the cover for both albums issued.
|1.||"Guilty" (Duet with Barry Gibb)||4:23|
|2.||"Woman in Love"||
|5.||"The Love Inside"||B. Gibb||5:08|
|6.||"What Kind of Fool" (Duet with Barry Gibb)||
|8.||"Never Give Up"||
|9.||"Make It Like a Memory"||
- Dennis Bryon – drums
- Steve Gadd – drums
- Bernard Lupe – drums
- Joe Lala – percussion
- Harold Cowart
- David Hungate – bass
- George Bitzer – keyboards
- Albhy Galuten – keyboards
- Richard Tee – keyboards
- Pete Carr – guitar
- Lee Ritenour – guitar
- Cornell Dupree – guitar
- Barry Gibb – guitar, vocals, producer
- Barbra Streisand – vocals
- Dan and Neal Bonsanti
- Whit Sidener – saxophone
- Russ Freeland – trombone
- Peter Graves – trombone
- Mike Katz – trombone
- Jerry Peel – French horn
- Bud Burridge – trumpet
- Kenneth Faulk – trumpet
- Brett Murphey – trumpet
- Denise Maynelli – backing vocals
- Marti McCall – backing vocals
- Myrna Matthews – backing vocals
|Year||Recipient||Award (with notes)||Result|
|1981||Herself||Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist (for her album Guilty)||Won|
|Year||Recipient (with notes)||Award||Result|
|1981||Guilty||Album of the Year||Nominated|
|"Woman in Love" (written by Barry Gibb and Robin Gibb)||Best Pop Vocal Performance - Female||Nominated|
|Record of the Year||Nominated|
|Song of the Year||Nominated|
|"Guilty" (Duet with Barry Gibb)||Best Pop Vocal Performance - Duo or Group||Won|
National Association of Recording Merchandisers (NARM)
|1981||Guilty||Best Selling LP by a Female Vocalist||Honored|
Sales and certifications
|Australia (ARIA)||6× Platinum||420,000^|
|Canada (Music Canada)||5× Platinum||500,000^|
|France (SNEP)||2× Platinum||908,000|
|Hong Kong (IFPI Hong Kong)||Platinum||20,000*|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Platinum||15,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||5× Platinum||5,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
Guilty was re-released on DualDisc on 30 August 2005 by Sony Legacy Recordings in advance of its sequel project, Guilty Pleasures and also commemorated its 25th anniversary. The re-release featured remastered audio, new interviews with Streisand and Gibb, two live performances from 1986 and a photo gallery of the original photo session for Guilty by Mario Casilli.
References in popular culture
In October 2010, American DJ duo Duck Sauce released a single titled "Barbra Streisand", the cover of which is modeled directly after Guilty. Neither the song nor the artist are associated in any way with Barbra Streisand.
The Guilty Demos
|The Guilty Demos|
|Demo album by Barry Gibb|
|Released||10 October 2006|
Criteria Studios, Miami
|Barry Gibb chronology|
The Guilty Demos is a demo version of the album by Barry Gibb. Not intended for release tapes of these had been circulating among fans before bootleg CDs started emerging. In October 2006 Gibb made these available through iTunes. Recorded in 1979 all of the songs were written that same year except "The Love Inside" which was written in 1978 during work on Spirits Having Flown. All songs feature Barry Gibb's falsetto voice, except "What Kind of Fool" where he used his natural voice. The songs "Carried Away" and "Secrets" were not used by Streisand but instead recorded by Elaine Paige with only "Secrets" being issued on her 1981 self-titled album. Olivia Newton-John recorded and released "Carried Away" on her Physical album, also in 1981. The demo version of "Never Give Up" remains unreleased.
|2.||"Woman in Love"||
|5.||"The Love Inside"||B. Gibb||4:47|
|6.||"What Kind of Fool"||
|8.||"Make It Like a Memory"||
- AllMusic review
- Robert Christgau review
- Rolling Stone review
- http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/rs5star_ed1.htm 5-Star-Albums from the Second Edition (Published in 1983) of "The Rolling Stone Record Guide"
- Stichting Nederlandse Top 40, 500 nr.1 hits uit de Top 40, 9023009444 (Book in Dutch)
- Charles in charge. Google Books (New York Magazine). May 18, 1992. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- Bronson, Fred (2003). The Billboard Book of Number One Hits (5th ed.). Billboard Books. p. 980. ISBN 9780823076772. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Liner notes, C4K 44111. Columbia Records, 1991
- "Barbra Streisand: AWARDS".
- "Barbra Streisand: FAQs & Timeline".
- "Rock On The Net: 23rd Annual Grammy Awards - 1981". Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Past Winners Search". grammy.com. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Barbra Streisand - Guilty - austriancharts.at". Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "dutchcharts.nl Barbra Streisand - Guilty". dutchcharts.nl. MegaCharts. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste". infodisc.fr. Archived from the original on 2013-05-06. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Album Search: Barbra Streisand" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "charts.org.nz - Barbra Streisand - Guilty". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "norwegiancharts.com Barbra Streisand - Guilty". Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Fernando Salaverri (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "swedishcharts.com Barbra Streisand - Guilty". Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Chart Stats - Barbra Streisand - Guilty". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- AllMusic Barbra Streisand > Guilty> Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums
- Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970-2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4-87131-077-9.
- "1980s Albums Chart Archive". everyhit.com. The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "The CASH BOX Year-End Charts: 1980". Archived from the original on September 13, 2012.. Cash Box magazine.
- "Austriancharts.st - Jahreshitparade 1981". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "日本で売れた洋楽アルバムトップ20 (Top-20 international albums on the Japanese Oricon Year-End Charts 1981". Archived from the original on 2007-02-17. Retrieved 2007-02-17.
- "Complete UK Year-End Album Charts". Archived from the original on 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "The Billboard 200 - Year-end: 1981". Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- "The CASH BOX Year-End Charts: 1981". Archived from the original on September 17, 2012.. Cash Box magazine.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2000 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian album certifications – Barbra Streisand – Guilty". Music Canada.
- "Barbara Streisand" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "French album certifications – Barbra Streisand – Guilty" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Les Albums Double Platine". infodisc.fr. SNEP. Archived from the original on 2015-08-12. Retrieved 2015-06-05.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Barbra Streisand; 'Guilty')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "IFPIHK Gold Disc Award − 1981". IFPI Hong Kong.
- "NZ Top 40 Albums Chart". Recorded Music NZ. Archived from the original on 1 March 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "British album certifications – Barbra Streisand – Guilty". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Guilty in the search field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Barbra Streisand – Guilty". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- "Barry Gibb - The Guilty Demos". iTunes Apple. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "Gibb Songs 1979". Joseph Brennan.
- The Barbra Streisand Music Guide – Guilty
- Barbra Archives "Guilty" page with quotes, vintage clippings, CD repackaging notes, and album photo outtakes.
- Gibb Songs: Guilty (1980)
The Game by Queen
The River by Bruce Springsteen
|Billboard 200 number-one album
October 25 – November 7, 1980
December 6–12, 1980
The River by Bruce Springsteen
Greatest Hits by Kenny Rogers
Zenyatta Mondatta by The Police
|UK Albums Chart number-one album
November 8, 1980 – November 21, 1980
Super Trouper by ABBA
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
by David Bowie
|Australian Kent Music Report number-one album
November 10 – December 21, 1980
by John Lennon and Yoko Ono