|Other names||Guitarlele, Guilele, Kīkū'|
A guitalele (sometimes spelled guitarlele or guilele), also called a kīkū, is a guitar-ukulele hybrid, that is, "a 1/4 size" guitar, a cross between a classical guitar and a tenor or baritone ukulele. The guitalele combines the portability of a ukulele, due to its small size, with the six single strings and resultant chord possibilities of a classical guitar. It may include a built-in microphone that permits playing the guitalele either as an acoustic guitar or connected to an amplifier. The guitalele is variously marketed (and used) as a travel guitar or children's guitar.
A guitalele is the size of a ukulele, and is commonly played like a guitar transposed up to “A” (that is, up a 4th, or like a guitar with a capo on the fifth fret). This gives it tuning of ADGCEA, with the top four strings tuned like a low G ukulele. This is the same as the tuning of a requinto guitar, although the latter are typically larger than a guitalele.
Several guitar and ukulele manufacturers market guitaleles, including Yamaha Corporation's GL-1 Guitalele, Cordoba's Guilele and Mini, Koaloha's D-VI 6-string tenor ukulele, Mele's Guitarlele, Kanilea's GL6 Guitarlele and Islander GL6, Luna's 6-string baritone ukulele, the Lichty Kīkū, the Kinnard Kīkū, and the Gretsch guitar-ukelele.
- Kiku, latest offspring in the ukulele family, Lichty Guitars (Dec. 11, 2014).
- Birth of the Kīkū', Kinnard Ukes (accessed September 2015).
- George Rajna, What in the world in a guitalele?, Huffington Post 01/09/2013.
- Anderton, Craig (July 1, 2002). "Guitar Player". Freaks of Frankfurt 36 (7). p. 27.
- "Guitarlele | Ukulele Review". Ukulelehunt.com. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- Nikkei Weekly (December 22, 1997) Small guitar can be amplified. Section: New products, science & Technology. Page 10.
- "GL1". Yamaha.ca. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- Cordoba Guilele, cordoba.com (accessed 9 July 2013).
- Cordoba Mini, cordoba.com (accessed September 2015).
- Koaloha D-VI, koaloha.com (accessed 9 July 2013).
- Mele Spruce Top Guitarlele, Mele Ukelele (accessed 9 July 2013).
- Kanilea Guitarlele, Kanilea Ukulele (accessed 9 July 2013).
- Islander GL6 Guitarlele by Kanilea (accessed 19 Sep. 2015).
- Tattoo 6-string baritone ukelele, Luna Guitars (accessed 18 May 2014).
- Gretsch G9126 Guitar-Ukulele, Gretsch Guitars (access 15 May 2015).