|Service type||Superfast Express|
|Current operator(s)||Western Railways|
|Stops||14 as 12901 Gujarat Mail, 13 as 12902 Gujarat Mail|
|Distance travelled||491 km (305 mi)|
|Average journey time||8 hours 35 minutes|
|Train number(s)||12901 / 12902|
|Class(es)||AC 1st Class, AC 2 tier, AC 3 tier, Sleeper, General Unreserved|
|Catering facilities||No Pantry Car|
|Observation facilities||2 rakes, No Rake Sharing|
|Rolling stock||LHB Indian Railways coaches from 11 September 2016|
|Track gauge||1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
110 km/h (68 mph) maximum |
57.76 km/h (36 mph), excluding halts
The 12901/12902 Mumbai Central Ahmedabad Gujarat Mail is a super fast express train belonging to Indian Railways that runs between Mumbai Central and Ahmedabad in India. It is a daily service. It operates as train number 12901 from Mumbai Central to Ahmedabad and as train number 12902 in the reverse direction. It operates with LHB coaches since 10 September 2016. Despite leaving before Mumbai-Ahmedabad Duronto Express, it reaches the destination 30 minutes after the Duronto.
The Gujarat Mail has 1 AC 1st Class, 3 AC 2 tier, 7 AC 3 tier, 7 Sleeper class, 4 General class coaches & 2 Generator Vans. As with most train services in India, Coach Composition may be amended at the discretion of Indian Railways depending on demand.
It is a daily train & covers the distance of 491 kilometres in 8 hours 35 mins as 12901 Gujarat Mail (57.20 km/hr) & 8 hours 25 mins as 12902 Gujarat Mail (58.34 km/hr).
Dual traction WCAM 2/2P locos would haul the train between Mumbai Central & Ahmedabad. Western Railways completed DC Electric Conversion to AC on 5 February 2012. It is now regularly hauled by a Vadodara based WAP 7, WAP 5, WAP 4E locomotive.
- It is one of the most prestigious trains on the Western Railways network. Despite being an old prestigious train equipped with LHB coaches, Gujarat Mail now leaves before Ahmedabad-Mumbai Duronto Express, but reaches the final destination 30 minutes after the Duronto.
- The Gujarat Mail is a daily service which was originally numbered 1DN/ 2UP.
- Earlier, it would carry a mail coach from which it likely derived its name. This mail coach has now been transferred to the 19143/44 Lok Shakti Express.
- It is an extremely popular train with the Angadia community & is known as the Angadia Express within its circles.
- It has got maximum no of AC Coaches (12) in non rajdhani and non shatabdi class super fast trains in India.
12901 Gujarat Mail at Mumbai Central
- "Western Railway on Twitter". Retrieved 2016-09-13.