Seal of Gujarat University
Motto in English
|Excellence in action is Yoga|
|Established||23 November 1949|
|Chancellor||Governor of Gujarat|
|Registrar (In-charge)||Piyush Patel|
|205 (PG Departments) (2004–2005)|
Gujarat University is a state university situated at Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. The university is an affiliating university at the under-graduate level and a teaching university at the postgraduate level. It is accredited B++ by NAAC. It was established in 1949.
- 1 History
- 2 Organisation
- 3 Campus and university jurisdiction
- 4 Awards
- 5 Departments
- 6 Faculties
- 7 Notable alumni and faculties
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Many leaders like Mahatma Gandhi, Sardar Patel, Anandshankar Dhruv, Ganesh Vasudev Mavalankar and Kasturbhai Lalbhai recommended formation of the university in the 1920s, and the university was established soon after the independence of India. Gujarat University was evolved out of Ahmedabad Education Society, a major educational organisation of Gujarat then.
Gujarat University was formed under the Gujarat University Act of the Government of Gujarat in 1949 as a teaching and affiliating university. It was established under the recommendation of a committee headed by Ganesh Vasudev Mavalankar for rearrangement of university education in Bombay State. Many universities were established later which resulted in decrease in jurisdiction of Gujarat University.
It is an affiliating university at the under-graduate level and a teaching one at the post-graduate level. Close to three-hundred thousand students study at university in the courses, faculties and affiliated institutes. The university caters for external as well as enrolled students. Affiliates include 285 colleges, 35 approved institutions and 20 recognised institutions, as of 2014.
Organisation of the university is based on the Gujarat University Act, 1949. The authorities of the university are:
- Executive Council: governs activities at university
- Academic Council: maintains and prescribes standards of instructions, education and examinations
- Board of University Teaching and Research
- Board of Studies
- Board of Extra-Mural Studies
- Board of Student Welfare
- Board for Hostel's Management
- Academic Planning Board
The university functions in a democratic way by Senate which is elected every year by faculties and students. Teachers of the colleges, departments and schools are represented in on the Academic and Executive Councils.
Office bearers of the university are:
- The Chancellor (The Governor of Gujarat is the ex-officio Chancellor of the university)
- The Vice-Chancellor, who is the academic and the executive head of the university
- Former Vice-Chancellors of the University residing in the State
- Pro Vice-Chancellor
- Registrar, who is administrative head of the university
- University Librarian
- Directors of Schools
- Heads of the Departments
The teaching and non-teaching staff are represented by their unions.
Campus and university jurisdiction
The campus of the university, located in the Navarangpura area of Ahmedabad, is spread over 260 acres (1.1 km2). Affiliated colleges and institutes are spread across the Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Kheda district (excluding the limits of Vallabh Vidyanagar in Anand Taluka and the area with a radius of 5 miles (8.0 km) from the office of Sardar Patel University).
The schools and university departments are as follows:
- School of Commerce
- School of Law
- School of Languages
- Department of English
- Department of Gujarati
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Linguistics
- Department of Urdu and Persian
- Department of Pali, Prakrit & Apabhransha
- Department of Sanskrit
- School of Philosophy Education and Psychology
- Department of Education
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Psychology
- School of Sciences
- Department of Climate Change Impacts Management
- Department of Botany
- Applied Botany Centre(ABC) – Bioinformatics Centre and Climate Change and Impacts Management
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Environmental Science
- Department of Forensic Science
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Life Science
- Department of Geography
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Physics, Space science and Electronics
- Department of Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Department of Zoology and Biomedical Technology
- Department of Animation, ITIMS and Mobile Applications
- School of Social Sciences
- Department of Economics
- Department of History
- Department of Labour Welfare
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Journalism
- Department of Library and Information Science
- Department of Physical Education
- Department of Yogic Science
- Department of Study Abroad Program
- B. K. School of Business Management
- K. S. School of Business Management
- Centre for Development Communication
- H.K. Professional Centre
- Upasana School of Performing Arts
- A D Shodhan I A S Training Centre
- Department of Defence Studies
- Department of Home Science
- Gujarat University Administrative Office
- Rollwala Computer Centre
- Gujarat University Workshop
- Department of Publication
- Gujarat University Guest House
- Gujarat University Press
Special Purpose Vehicles
Gujarat University has established and promotes the following special purpose vehicles:
- Gujarat University Startup and Entrepreneurship Council (GUSEC)
- AIC-GUSEC Foundation
- GU PIER Foundation
- GU Consultancy Foundation
Student welfare departments
- Gujarat University Library
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Reading Centre
- Women's Development Cell
- Gujarat University Consultancy Cell
- Gujarat University Skill and Innovation Council
- Gujarat University Startup And Entrepreneurship Council
- Gujarat University Health Centre
- James Reaney Canadian Study Centre
- Gujarat University Employment Bureau
- Department of Youth Welfare
- Gujarat University Boys Hostel
- Gujarat University Girls Hostel
- University Canteen
- Internet Access Centre
- Dr B R Ambedkar Chair
- Gujarat University Central Consumer Co-Operative Stores Ltd
- Jan Shikshan Sansthan
- Open Air Theatre
- NRS Hall
- Gujarat University Convention and Exhibition Hall
- State Bank of India, Gujarat University Branch
- Census Micro Data Station
- Gujarat University Post Office
- Academic Staff College
- Department of Adult and Continuing Education and Extension works
- Department of Educational Multimedia Research Centre
- Information and Library Network Centre (INFLIBNET Centre)
Gujarat University is in the process of developing the Sardar Patel Sports City (SPSC), a multi-sport facility. The facility will include support for the following sports:
- Synthetic Athletic Track: Running, Hurdles, Steeplechase, Hurdles, Relay
- Throwing: Discus, Hammer, Javelin, Shot-Put
- Table Tennis
- Shooting and Archery
Notable alumni and faculties
- Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India and former Chief Minister of Gujarat state
- Hasmukh Adhia, IAS, Revenue Secretary of India.
- Mallika Sarabhai, Kuchipudi and Bharatanatyam dancer
- Sudhir Mehta, Chairman, Torrent Group
- Ashis Nandy, Political psychologist and social theorist
- Deepak Pandya, neuroanatomist
- Pankaj Patel, CEO Cadila
- Geet Sethi, Billiard, BKS
- Haren Pandya, former Home Minister of Gujarat
- Gautam Adani, Chairman, Adani Group
- Harin Pathak, former MP from Ahmedabad East
- Praful Bhavsar, director, Space Applications Center, ISRO
- B. M. Choudary, inorganic chemist, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar laureate
- Bhupendra Nath Goswami, climatologist
- Rengaswamy Ramesh, geophysicist
- Kanchan Pande, geologist
- Krishnaswamy Kasturirangan, Indian Space Scientist
- Aziz Mushabber Ahmadi, 26th Chief Justice of India
- Amit Shah, politician
- "An Overview". Gujarat University. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "List Of Institutions Accredited By Naac (2nd And Subsequent Cycle) (On 24th September 2014) Universities" (PDF). naac.gov.in. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Brief History". Gujarat University Official Website. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- Gandhinagar: Building National Identity in Postcolonial India. 2004. p. 53.
- Mehta, Kapilray M. (3 May 2010). Ahmedabad, 1958. Gujarat Publishers, 1959. p. 233. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Kumar, compiled by Ameeta Gupta; Ashish (29 October 2008). Handbook of universities : includes universities, deemed universities, colleges, private universities and prominent educational and research institutions. New Delhi: Atlantic Publishers & Distributors. p. 472. ISBN 8126906081. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Affiliated Colleges & Recognised Institutions Part (A) Affiliated Colleges" (PDF). gujaratuniversity.ac.in. Retrieved 19 August 2017.
- "Organization of Gujarat University". Gujarat University. Retrieved 19 August 2017.
- Ahmed, Syed Khalique (31 March 2012). "GU launches first campus FM radio station in state, fifth in country". The Indian Express. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Gujarat University receives NSS Award | YouTube".
- "Sardar Patel Sports City | Gujarat University".
- "Dr. Hasmukh Adhia - Executive Record sheet". Department of Personnel and Training, Government of India. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "PhD in Yoga, IIM-A gold medallist: All about Hasmukh Adhia, India's new financial services secy". Firstpost. 5 November 2014. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "List of Public Companies Worldwide, Letter - Bloomberg - Bloomberg". Investing.businessweek.wallst.com. Retrieved 13 April 2017.